Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm refinishing some Ak furniture for a buddy of mine, So far I've got a great match on the stock and top hand guard. But the bottom hand guard's grain color is quite a bit darker. I have already taken all the furniture down to its natural color state, So this is out of question. The type of the wood came from the same, But like I said the bottom hand guard doesn't match.
I've heard somewhere that you can bleach the wood to get it much lighter, Does anyone know how this is done?? Is it real "bleach"?
Thanks,
-Shadow-

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I got some wood bleach from Lowes, it worked well after several applications on my South African fal stock. It is pretty cheap too. Jack

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...How do you use it? Soak for how long etc.? I'm sure it says on the package but just courious. How did the regular bleach work?....For future reference.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I soaked my stocks for a couple of days in bleach to lighten them to almost white. There was some water dilution as well, it was a long time ago. I would use the professional product.

·
Registered
62 Posts
oxalic acid

It's an organic acid used to lighten dark wood prior to finishing. Lots of commercial wood bleaches are made of it. Google it and you'll find out how to use it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dont get that nasty stuff on your hands though!

Ive made that mistake trying to bleach out my original molasses sar stocks..:sick:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Caution: using oxalic acid. I found this on another web site.
Please note: Oxalic Acid is a dangerous poison, which can be absorbed through the skin. Secure in a locked cabinet to prevent accidental ingestion by a child or animal, and use outside or in a well-ventilated area to avoid toxic fumes. Wear rubber gloves when handling, do not mix with other chemicals or compounds, and do not re-use the container in which you mixed your Oxalic Acid solution.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Folks - the only thing that WORKS is one of the two part wood bleach kits. These usually contain a bottle of Sodium Hydroxide (dilute lye), and Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach). I've gotten this at Woodworker's Supply on the net.

Wear gloves, mix the solutions about 50/50, and soak up the wood... stuff will fiz and bubble and really go like HELL :) When done, your wood will be close to white :)

I've had close to zero luck with washing machine beach or Oxalic Acid....

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Trotsky said:
Folks - the only thing that WORKS is one of the two part wood bleach kits. These usually contain a bottle of Sodium Hydroxide (dilute lye), and Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach). I've gotten this at Woodworker's Supply on the net.

Wear gloves, mix the solutions about 50/50, and soak up the wood... stuff will fiz and bubble and really go like HELL :) When done, your wood will be close to white :)

I've had close to zero luck with washing machine beach or Oxalic Acid....

Wood Workers Supply

1 - 13 of 13 Posts