Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://members.evansville.net/ccpines/rates.html

How to Stop a Runaway Cart (From Worst Golf Case Scenario)
If You Are in the Cart

1. Attempt to shut off the cart. If the cart is electric, turn the ignition key to the ?off? position. If the cart is gas powered, do not turn the key to the ?off? position, leave it in gear.

2. Try to engage the service brake. The service, or hill, brake is located on the top half of the brake pedal. Push it forward until it sticks. If it engages, the cart should stop quickly.

3. If the service brake fails, wait for the automatic emergency system to stop the cart. If you are still moving, there has been a brake failure. Most late-model electric cars also have ?downhill braking? an automatic emergency system that is designed to stop the car in the event of downhill acceleration. This emergency brake should now engage. Gas carts do not use downhill braking: They have compression braking, which uses the engine to stop the cart experiencing uncontrolled acceleration. This emergency system should also activate automatically.

4. If the cart does not stop, attempt to ride it out. You should be able to steer a golf cart even with the key turned off. Stay in the cart and steer onto a gentle incline, which will slow or stop the cart. Do not jerk the wheel or make any sharp turns. If the cart is accelerating downhill or into unsafe terrain and you cannot slow it down, prepare to exit.

5. Jump out of the cart. Do not try to land on your feet. Leap out and away from the path of the cart, rolling on your side until you are at a safe distance. Protect your head with your arms and aim for grass or other forgiving terrain.

If You Are Not in the Cart

1. Evaluate the situation. If an empty cart is accelerating downhill and you are far behind it, you may not be able to reach it. If the cart is headed uphill or into scrub brush rather than a water hazard, and there are no people in front of the cart, it may slow down on its own. If the cart is headed toward people, a green, or another area where it may cause damage, you may be able to intercept it.

2. Chase the cart and match its speed. Unless the cart is traveling in a straight line downhill from your position, run at an angle that will allow you to catch up with it.

3. Grab the roof or a roof support. If the cart is a model without a roof, grab the back of the seat. Do not reach for the wheel before you are in the cart or you risk turning the cart into your path and running yourself over.

4. Swing your body into the cart. Do not dive into the cart head first. Pull yourself aboard using your arms. Swing your legs in first.

5. Turn the steering wheel gently to obtain control. Do not jerk it.

6. Steer the cart up a rise or into a sand trap. The sand should slow it down and eventually stop it.

Be Aware

* The industry maximum speed for both electric and gas golf carts is about 14 miles per hour. (Special vehicles can reach speeds of 18 mph.) A runaway golf cart is usually only traveling with momentum, not with electric or gas power, and should not be traveling at more than a few miles per hour, unless it is going down a hill.

* Always set the hill brake when you leave the cart, whether or not you have stopped on a hill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Damn if I know how this applies, but it made me think of it right away. A long time ago, back in my drinking days, I was sitting on my motorcycle at a stop light in downtown Kirkland Washington. Now, I was more than a little hungover, so the world was looking a bit surreal anyway, but as I'm sitting there at this stoplight, I look up and coming towards me down the hill in the oncoming lane, is a lawnmower. It's not any old lawnmower, it's one of those with big bicycle like tires, and its going at a damn good clip...and the motor is running, and it's in total unmanned flight.

So here I am, hungover, sitting at a stoplight, and this lawnmower passes me. As I turn to watch it continue on down the street I say to myself (for about the thousandth time) "Self, you've GOT to stop drinking!". And then I look back forward to see if the light has changed and here comes this teenage kid, stripped to the waist, running faster than I've ever seen a human run (at least one who wasn't being shot at), come flying down the hill after the lawnmower.

Anyway, the kid passes me by, chasing after the lawnmower (which I was starting to think wasn't some sort of weird delusion, but an actual runaway grass cutting device) and the light turns green and I took off....probably back to the bar for another drink.

Strange days indeed.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
we had gas carts they were governed by the motor rpm I bought oversize tires from a place called R&R . the motors had plenty of power just the rpm was set low. with the larger tires the carts went a LOT faster. you would not want to jump out. at start off you could feel each time the piston fired and it would pull, then it would smooth out after about 1/2 speed.
oh yes kind of looks cool too jacked up in the back

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
On nice days I take my Golf cart to work.On rainy or snowing days I take the M151A1 jeep to work.HITF does a dumbfuckingrediculious Golf Kart get away from one?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
dinkydow said:
On nice days I take my Golf cart to work.On rainy or snowing days I take the M151A1 jeep to work.HITF does a dumbfuckingrediculious Golf Kart get away from one?
Do a reverse J turn at speed and you'll find out real quick! :D

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Friends shouldn't let friends drive Golf Carts drunk.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
dinkydow said:
Friends shouldn't let friends play golf...........drunk or sober. :smoke:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
dinkydow said:
In my case it was at work and I was just STUPID! We had an EZ-GO green work type cart with a pickup bed on the back. Much heavier than gold cart, lucky it just ran over my legs. That stupid cart got more of us 20 something guys in troubloe than anything else at work.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Guys and gas pedals.....

It is amazing that any of us guys live through being a young man and driving anything with a "Go faster pedal."

Oh look! a brand X image.How did that get in there?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts