Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newspaper said to expect imported Chinese cars soon.

From a southerner's perspective, it is bitter sweet. We hate to see America's Auto industry or steel industry get ravaged like our textiles, but there is a matter of payback. While our textile mills were closing one after the other, because of economic appeasement, Detroit didn't care. Nope, let southerners suffer. Seems to have been a favorite theme of many northeners even before the unCivil War. When the tobacco industry was savaged by States under the guise of litigation, Detroit was unconcerned. After all, tobacco was in the south, where all them ignorant ******** and inbreds lived.

So, how will we react when China begins dumping automobiles in our markets? When WalMart begins selling Chincoms for $2,995.00, will Detroit expect southerners to do what it did not?

This could prove interesting.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I remember the bitching when car and component production started to move out of the North into the South.

I suppose this is an issue far beyond "Detroit".

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
I wonder if the mexicans that built the cavalier and focus are worried?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
They will be junk at first like teh Korean cars in the mid 80's then 5-10 years later they will be decent as Hyundai is now for th most part. It will be hard to ignore because very poor people will have a chance to own a new car. The small car market where Detroit already has trouble is what will suffer.

The Mexicans should be worried because China is even cheaper. My best friend from childhood was an engineer with Black&Decker. He started in the Carolina's near Asheville. Then they asked his team to move everything to Mexico and the Jobs in NC went bye, bye. He moved to Mexico for a couple of years getting the product line up then another company bought that production line to make it for B&D and they wanted to move it to China and he was again asked to move to China to help setup the line. At that point he said no thanks and went somewhere else.

What really sucks about China is it's human rights record and that no one seem to care. They can do whatever they want and have chidlren build their products. It's not all like that, but that doesn't really matter.

China is the 800 LB Gorilla in the room that no one wants to cross. The next 10 years is going to be interesting.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
There will be people that will buy them if they are cheaper. You can bet on that. But there won't be no ***** car in my driveway. Probably wouldn't even let a visitor park one in my drive. :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bluedog said:
I wonder if the mexicans that built the cavalier and focus are worried?
Naaaah, they ain't gonna emmigrate to China. For one thing, the Pacific ocean is a bit harder to cross than the Rio Grande. I don't think they'd like being chained while working for $1.00 day, either.

Mexico is angry with China for interfering with their textile industry, which they stole from the south, so maybe it will be payback for them, too.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
AClay, the Civil War made it impossible for the South to build cars with slave labor, anyway. Being able to buy a Chinese-made car gives Americans the abilty they otherwise wouldn't have to have a car made by slaves.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
AClay, the Civil War made it impossible for the South to build cars with slave labor, anyway. Being able to buy a Chinese-made car gives Americans the abilty they otherwise wouldn't have to have a car made by slaves.
There is always that! Maybe some of the Uber rich capitalist in this country would enjoy an SUV built by slave labor with human skin interiror?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
[The following reply was written entirely tongue in cheek]

Dzerzhinsky said:
Naaah, we don't need slaves no more. We got Mexicans, lots of 'em. Besides, only about 4% of southerners had they own slave before Lincoln's minions invaded Dixie, removed democratically elected governments, and replaced 'em all with military rule, while his folks amended the Constitution. Now, everyone can afford a Mexican!

Good lord boy, I thought y'all had Mexicans in Nevada! Everybody ought to have at least one!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
England is still bitching about the South stealing their textile industry.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That proves my point.

Custer said:
Proves my point. An Ohioan views the south's loss of industry as that of a foreign country. I rest my case.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
Actually, I though it was mills in the North that stole the British textile industry - and that they were an early example of industrial espionage, with proprietary British loom technology being smuggled out. But, at any rate, whether the looms were in England or the looms were in New England, they weren't in the South. Interesting but rather tedious article about this the development of the US textile industry:

http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/rcah/html/ah_085400_textileindus.htm

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
AClay47...Besides said:
his[/i] folks amended the Constitution....
Yep. Rich man's war, poor man's fight.

Tangential aside: Had I had the misfortune to have been around at that time, I probably would have fought on the side of the Confederacy, and probably would have lauded Booth's removal of a tyrant from the Federal Presidency.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Well, all that aside, I think someone should start a business using human skin for coverings. Maybe it could be something completely American? Smeg? You game?

:D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sung to the tune of another one bites the dust -

Textile ... Tobacco .... Auto .... Steel ... Aeronatics ...

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
AClay47 said:
Sung to the tune of another one bites the dust -

Textile ... Tobacco .... Auto .... Steel ... Aeronatics ...

It's funny as big business goes away in this country for manufacturing needs. I see small companies coming up filling in markets for small run type stuff that requires more expertise or other needs.

My neighbor works for a small company that makes specialized indutrial clutch fans. They make almost all the clutches for those windmill generators because the owner came up with something no one had thought of before. They also make clutches for exhaust fans in chicken processing plants that last better then anything else. They just got a contract from China for those :dunno:

We have something here in this country that doesn't exist other places. Lots of disposable income and people with freedom to sit around and dream up stuff. The builders on this board are a good example of this. HCpookie came up with a way to mod bolt cutters to smoosh rivets on an AK build. Someone else figured a way to mod a spot welded to put the rails on. I was the first I knew of to post pics of how to locate the trunion holes quickly. As we lose our big economy we will gain small economy and I think that is better in some ways.

There will be less people working for megacorps and it will be harder for the fed to keep tabs on all of the business. More of an open economy with a little black market style of business thrown in. Much like it was 200 years ago.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lincoln's War was one of oppression, not liberation. If slavery were his issue, the United States could have followed Britain's example and bought and emancipated slaves. It would have cost far less than the unCivil War, but that would have left intact a huge block of Democrat States which would oppose his fledgling Republican Party. By imposing military occupation over the South, his Party was guaranteed a stranglehold over the country.

It is the same notion that the south is somehow an unequal region of the country which allowed industries there to be sacrificed during the past 2 decades. Now, the same arrogance may come back to bite the north in the behind, and I won't cry a bit.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
Well, all that aside, I think someone should start a business using human skin for coverings. Maybe it could be something completely American? Smeg? You game?

:D
If that was offered to suggest the South was Nazis Germany, then it further proves my point.

Find me a single instance of what is suggested happening in the South. It seems another example of how cavalier people outside the region can be when making derogatory comments about those States which were attacked by the Federal Government.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts