Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made two packets of it last night on the grill and have one left.

I think it will make a great lunch today.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
What are your ingredients for your "Meal for men of liesure?"

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
enquiring minds want to know, I want to know.... :D

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The beef is lean ground sirloin patties. I used to use regular hamburger and make the patties but my wife is trying to reduce my fat intake. Usually 3 patties per packet. I use large aluminum foil.

I slice 2-3 onions, 3-4 potatos and close to an entire bag of carrots. (I love carrots) 1 stalk of celery divided between the packets. Everything cut about 1/4" thick. A little dab or two of worchestershire. A matter of taste. I also add some coarse ground pepper. If I have some small grape or cherry tomatoes, I'll throw a few of them in too. Close up the foil carefully so you don't lose the juices. It helps to overlap the fold on the top for a good seal.

I get the grill up to about 450. Cook one side for 17 minutes and then flip it over for 17 more. You could go less if you like the veggies more crunchy and the meat less done.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
sounds tasty - gotta love meat and veggies. Thanks for sharing.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Another good one for the grill is take a cabbage and quarter it length wise. Or you could cut it again into eights if you want smaller pieces. Package it in aluminum foil just like your recipe with a little margarine or butter and pepper to taste. I love cooking in aluminum foil over coals when I'm camping. I'm going to have to add celery to my next stew, good idea.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are cooking outside over an open fire, you can just bury the packet in the coals and it will cook in close to 1/2 the time. On a grill, I found it necessary to flip the packet.

Hey Pogo, I love cabbage. I'm going to try that one.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that puts garlic on everything.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer said:
If you are cooking outside over an open fire, you can just bury the packet in the coals and it will cook in close to 1/2 the time. On a grill, I found it necessary to flip the packet.

Hey Pogo, I love cabbage. I'm going to try that one.
Yeah, I've got a big dutch oven that I bury in the coals and drop the aluminum foil packets into. I've also made corn bread in a dutch over. Mmmmm, makes me hungry. But, I don't like garlic Lupe.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah dutch ovens.

When I was in the Boy Scouts we used to buy bisquick and put one layer down in the oven. Pour in the commercial size cans of peaches or cherries. Put another layer of bisquick on top. Close it up put down on the fire bed and add with coals on top.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Lupeloff said:
All that stuff they are talking about is tasteless without garlic.

I throw veggies with butter, salt, pepper and garlic inside the foil on top of the grill for a few minutes before the meat is done.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a fan of a lot of garlic either. If you want to spice it up, I often use a pepper popourri that my wife buys. It has just about every pepper in it you ever heard of.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Lupeloff said:
Lupe.........when I was in Germany I had friends that owned a Gasthaus and the owner (Herr Bittner) and I used to eat garlic sandwiches and wash them down mit bier. Good German dark bread, butter and sliced garlic.
Just couldn't go out on a date for a couple of days.:cheers:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Yeah, but you also eat kimchi DorGunR.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Pogo said:
Yeah, but you also eat kimchi DorGunR.
Oh, yeah.........sure do.
But kimchi is nothing compared to what we learned to eat in Jungle Survival School.:biggrin:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
DorGunR said:
Oh, yeah.........sure do.
But kimchi is nothing compared to what we learned to eat in Jungle Survival School.:biggrin:
When I went to Jungle Survival School in Panama, the best food we got was the chicken our squad had to kill and cook ourselves. No pots, pans, salt, pepper, or anything. But, it was better than grubs and worms.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
DorGunR, given my european background I can say that a piece of bread with olive oil and garlic is the best medicine in the world.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aviator said:
DorGunR, given my european background I can say that a piece of bread with olive oil and garlic is the best medicine in the world.
My wife would no doubt agree with that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts