Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/01/bush.radio.reut/

I guess Bush made that proclamation Saturday, but I didn't hear it till today. And for those critics that are crying that the $350 million of our tax dollars isn't enough, let em sell their house and car and donate more themselves. It ain't my problem. :mad:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Anyone know how it comes to be that the Prez can just blithly give away $35 million bucks? I would have thought he'd have to go to Congress and ask for an appropriation. Something wrong with the checks-and-balances here.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait Donate Only $10 Million in Tsunami Aid [US donates $350+ million]
Arutz Sheva (Israel National News) ^ | 1/4/04

Kuwait, which The NY Times reported is expected to run a budget surplus this year of roughly $10 billion, has offered precisely 1/1000th of that amount, or $10 million, to aid the tsunami victims.

Oil-rich Saudi Arabia, a major promoter of "Palestinian refugee" rights all over the world, has donated $10 million to the tsunami refugees of Southeast Asia.

Kuwait, which the Times also reported today recently distributed $700 million to its citizens, has offered precisely 1/70th of that amount to aid the homeless and hungry tsunami victims - also $10 million. It originally offered $1 million, then another million, and then raised it to the current amount after a local newspaper wrote that Kuwait apparently "deserves its reputation for being cheap."

Commentator Naomi Ragen noted, "Given the fact that Indonesia is 78% Moslem, and has lost more than 100,000 people... one would think that Arab nations would now show an outpouring of support and sympathy. After all, isn't that the excuse they always use for backing the 'poor Palestinians' -- that they are fellow Moslems and their solidarity is a given? ... Makes one think, doesn't it, that perhaps all these years their concern for the plight of the Palestinian 'refugees' wasn't based on purely humanitarian grounds."

The United States has allocated $350 million to the relief efforts, with additional tens of millions in private donations.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Funny how people that hate us are always ready and willing to accept our $$.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Bush basically spent the 35 million that was in the budget for International Disaster relief for this year. His perogative as POTUS.

The rest of it has to be voted on by congress.

As far as lowering my Flag? No.

Contributing so much as a penney to U.N or any other worthhless aid organization? No.

Send food and medicine, IF it can be guaranteed it won't be siphoned off by one corrupt bureaucrat or another? Sure.

As for the rest of it? (Particularly for Indonesia) Sorry guys, Allah willed it, you believe that crap ... beg Allah for help!!

Not my problem!

For believers in anything or nothing else? Let's see what we can work out, probably we can help with the rebuilding.

For anyplace where the Salvation Army is welcome and involved? Every penny I can scrape together, They do it right!

:)

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Next Sunday (10 Jan) our church is having a second collection for the tsunami refugees of Southeast Asia........I have mixed feelings about this because of the high Islamic population in the disaster area...........but I will no doubt give toward this effort..........it's a WWJD thing.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DorGunR said:
Next Sunday (10 Jan) our church is having a second collection for the tsunami refugees of Southeast Asia........I have mixed feelings about this because of the high Islamic population in the disaster area...........but I will no doubt give toward this effort..........it's a WWJD thing.
I think it's fine if churches and individuals give to the needy and those suffering from disasters. But, I get downright cantankerous when the government takes money from me and hands it to someone else without my permission.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I feel for the victims of tsunamiaid as much as the next guy, but I would like to see the bulk of that money go to our soldiers for body armor and vehicle armor and the neccessities they lack. We could give the same $10 million that all the other countries are donating for tsunamiaid and take care of our fighting men and women with the rest.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You know, this whole thing bothers me to no end. I mean, first Bush very generously in my opinion, offers $35 million in aid. Then some scumbag in the UN screams about how stingy the US is. All of a sudden we are giving $350 million!

Look, one thing the politicians better learn is that the rest of the world will still hate us whether we give $10 million, $35 million, or $350 million. It doesn't matter, they will still hate us. My answer, hate 'em back...works for me.

How dare some scumbag UN flunkie start up with the US is stingy. Where is the rest of the UN on this? What is France and Germany donating? What is the UN throwing into the mix (besides our money)? Why the hell do we care what some organization made up of mainly thieves, cheats and scumbags thinks about us anyway? I don't see that douchebag questioning France's or any other countries donations. That really steams me.

And where was Thailand, India, Indonesia, or any of those other countries when Florida was hit by multiple hurricanes....I didn't see ANY other country lining up to help the good 'ol USA.

I personally won't donate one penny to them. Period. Call me cold hearted, but $350 million of my tax dollars are going there without even so much as my input. They are getting more than they deserve...

·
Registered
990 Posts
There's to many things that money could be used for here at home, than to give it away to people that hate us. Let them rot. Let the muslim countries help them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Send them Bibles. Most of them are a bunch of heathens anyway.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where the hell are the feds with their(our) money when the states need it for our schools????? Here in Barberton, Ohio, they're threatening to eliminate our sports programs if we don't pass a school levy, which by the way, has already failed twice. If it doesn't pass this May, they're saying the state could take over running the school!!!! Where is the fed money for the Americans damn it?????
Piss on them people, take care of America first!!!!:salute:

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Not that I justify it but foreign aid is an issue of foreign policy where the government has plenty of power.

Education is a state rights matter where the Feds don't have much power and should not be involved but seem to be getting more involved than they should.

Pass the levy, implement pay to play or live with the will of the voters.

You guys are the Magic City, right?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
There are many Christians and non-believers being slaughtered in Indonesia by Muslims as well.

I'm torn, I don't mind aide, but in the same sense I don't like it.

When you do think about all the aid going out you wonder why the government couldn't at least do a one time $1 million payout to every citizen.

That's $290 million dollars? Not much in the way of money when you see Billions being thrown around? One time, you get it and you pay off your debt first as part of the agreement. Talk about putting our economey back online! Think of all investment that would happen and purchasing as well. I guess it could have a negative effest too. I'm not much for wealth re-distribution before I get flamed.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
5KNIVES said:
Bush basically spent the 35 million that was in the budget for International Disaster relief for this year. His perogative as POTUS...

...As for the rest of it? (Particularly for Indonesia) Sorry guys, Allah willed it, you believe that crap ... beg Allah for help!!

Not my problem!

...For anyplace where the Salvation Army is welcome and involved? Every penny I can scrape together, They do it right!

:)
1. Thanks for the info. So there basicly was a $35 mil slush fund for the Prez to use at his discretion? So long as Congress appropriated it, they're retaining control over the purse-strings and it's OK with me.

2. While Indonesia is a Muslim nation, seems to me they've been pretty reasonable in their attempts to suppress Islamic fundamentalist terrorists and haven't given the US a hard time. Why do you write them off? Were it Saudi Arabia I'd be inclined to agree with you.

3. What you said about the Salvation Army. Little known fact is that the Salvation Army is a religious denomenation, not just a charitable organization. Lotsa yattering on these boards about folks who give Christianity a bad name, but the Salvation Army gives it a good name indeed. Christians who act like Christians.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Custer said:
Not that I justify it but foreign aid is an issue of foreign policy where the government has plenty of power.

Education is a state rights matter where the Feds don't have much power and should not be involved but seem to be getting more involved than they should.

Pass the levy, implement pay to play or live with the will of the voters.

You guys are the Magic City, right?
I'm not necessarily saying for the feds to support the schools directly, just that they should be giving more money to the states coffers before they're so eager to hand it out to the rest of the world! Why is it the U.S. is always got to be johnny-on-the-spot when every @sswhole country in the world needs help, but doesn't have a dime for it's own people??? This just totally pisses me off!!!:rant:

Yes, we are the MAGIC CITY!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
There are many Christians and non-believers being slaughtered in Indonesia by Muslims as well.

I'm torn, I don't mind aide, but in the same sense I don't like it.

When you do think about all the aid going out you wonder why the government couldn't at least do a one time $1 million payout to every citizen.

That's $290 million dollars? Not much in the way of money when you see Billions being thrown around? One time, you get it and you pay off your debt first as part of the agreement. Talk about putting our economey back online! Think of all investment that would happen and purchasing as well. I guess it could have a negative effest too. I'm not much for wealth re-distribution before I get flamed.
Sorry, but your math is off by a few. It would be more like 290,000,000,000,000 trillion bucks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lowering Flag

I work for the city. I was told yesterday to lower the flag in front of the city building. Couldn't believe it! How many of the countries over there even gave a damn about the U.S. on 9-11, let alone lowered their flags???
This is:bsflag: .......!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts