Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....of course that is what the anti's want.

http://www.sundaygazettemail.com/section/APNews/News/ap0779n

Wal-Mart to pay $14.5 million to settle California gun sale violations

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Wal-Mart has agreed to pay $14.5 million in fines and other costs to settle a state lawsuit over thousands of gun sales violations at California stores between 2000 and 2003.

The world's largest retailer will pay $5 million in fines and $3 million to conduct a public service campaign and develop an age-verification system for gun purchasers. It also will pay at least $6.5 million on company and state efforts to ensure Wal-Mart is complying with gun laws.

Arkansas-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc. agreed in April 2003 to suspend gun sales at its more than 110 California stores that sold guns after the state documented hundreds of violations at six of the stores. A subsequent investigation by the California Department of Justice found 2,891 more violations between 2000 and 2003.

State agents said the stores sold guns to 23 people who were not allowed to possess them and delivered 36 more to customers who bought them for people not allowed to own guns.

Other offenses included gun sales without background checks and failing to identify buyers through thumbprints and drivers license scans.

"We were fully cooperative with the attorney general in resolving this matter,'' said Sacramento attorney Donald Heller, who represented the retailer.

The settlement doesn't prevent Wal-Mart from selling guns in California, but the retailer has not decided whether it will resume gun sales there, company spokesman Gus Whitcomb said.

Wal-Mart sells guns in every state but California, Hawaii and New Jersey.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What's the deal with BATFE? Wouldn't these stores be FFL's? Why didn't BATFE catch at least some of this stuff and have WalMart clean up its act before it came to this?

·
Angry White Man
3,381 Posts
I think if they do they'll lose a sizeable chuck of business from sportsman out of protest if nothing else.

Looks like BATF should get hammered as well.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you first read the article, it seems that Walmart really screwed up.

But, analyze this: "State agents said the stores sold guns to 23 people who were not allowed to possess them and delivered 36 more to customers who bought them for people not allowed to own guns."

First, you can simply forget about the last 36 customers unless Walmart could somehow know those customers were going to give the firearms to people not allowed to own guns.

Then, the 23 people who purchased firearms that were not allowed to possess them. Out of 110 stores that probably sold 1,000s of guns per year each, during a 3 year period. That is a very low error rate actually, and it doesn't state how many of those sales were made to individuals with false IDs, etc.

I don't know how many members in this forum are from California, but it's probably getting harder and harder for them to find a place to buy a firearm. Just what Feinstein and Boxer wants.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Well, where was NICS during all this????????????

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, lets face it, a good number (not all mind you) of the employees at Wal-Mart are only a few points above "challenged" many times. I don't think some yutz from toys is going to have a real good handle on the complexities of selling firearms in this day and age.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pogo said:
When you first read the article, it seems that Walmart really screwed up.

But, analyze this: "State agents said the stores sold guns to 23 people who were not allowed to possess them and delivered 36 more to customers who bought them for people not allowed to own guns."...
Yep, agree with you. That part is bogus unless WalMart has clairvoyants working in the Sporting Goods department. But some of the other stuff does sound like FFL violations.

And if the straw purchases were made when the salesperson knew, or should have known, that it was a straw purchase, that's a FFL violation, too. Dunno. But there are instances when they are - e.g. you take your buddy into a gun store and he picks out in front of the owner the handgun he wants you to buy for him.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
pzjgr said:
Well, lets face it, a good number (not all mind you) of the employees at Wal-Mart are only a few points above "challenged" many times. I don't think some yutz from toys is going to have a real good handle on the complexities of selling firearms in this day and age.
That's what I'm afraid of. It's some yutz that's going to screw up and cost us our guns.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I don't have a lot of faith in the usual listing of Federal regulatory violations. A lot of it is crap and may or not be mixed in with something of substance. In my experience, very seldom does the compliance issue cited do anything to solve whatever the regulation is supposed to solve. It is mostly about headlines for career advancement and revenue.

As just example, we went through a DOT audit about 18 months ago. We were clean as a whistle except for one violation.

We forgot to ink stamp our company name on one of the job applications filled out by a driver we hired. Our "driver qualification file" was inadequate under the regs as a result.

That was after two days of auditing. To be honest, I don't why they did not find more nit picky crap so they can stack up the charges and issue a press release saying:

"___________ Inc. charged with 25 Highway Safety violations."

That is what normally goes on. Maybe we were too small to mess with or it was my pleasing personality.

After 30+ years of dealing with Federal regulators in almost every field, I am always thankful we do not get all the government we pay for.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Custer,

You can just about bet that some of those charges that Walmart didn't comply with California's gun laws were petty ones just about like that. It seems they can overlook "petty violations" of probation and parole for those that have been convicted of really violating gun laws, but they want to stomp all over honest gun owners and retailers for making mistakes. This is an obvious covert attempt to chase all gun dealers out of California.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts