Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Winchester 94AE Trapper with 16 inch barrel

I'm basically a mil surp guy. All firearms I've bought have been military. Still, I've found lever action rifles interesting, although some guys call them "cowboy guns." I'm not big into the cowboy era, though many movies and TV series used it when I was growing up... maybe, that's why I'm not fond of them!

I admit to being fascinated with lever action rifle used in classic TV western series, "The Rifleman," starring Chuck Connors. The Winchester '92, which Connors used, had an adjustable screw threaded into the trigger guard to trip the trigger every time the lever was slammed home. Connors was able to crank off nine shots in an eye-blinking 1-1/2 seconds! Rick Hacker wrote in The American Rifleman, "...there's no trick photography; Connors was as fast as he looked. I know because I had the pleasure of knowing Chuck in later years." Of course, the actor was also an athlete, who played both professional baseball and basketball. Steve McQueen used a modified '92 in his Television series, "Wanted Dead or Alive."

The '92 was a modified Winchester 73, known as "The Rifle which Won the West." Oddly enough, Custer was defeated at the Battle of Little Big Horn, because the Indians had repeating rifles, and his men did not.

I bought a Winchester '94AE (angle eject) Trapper Model. Like the '92, it is a version of the venerable Winchester 73. The one I got is a saddle ring carbine, which fires a 30-30 round. It has a loop style lever, similar to the one used in The Rifleman. I know there are people who find that lever-style cumbersome, but it is cool.

I figure the '94 would make a nice rifle to take into the wilderness on my ATV. Most say it is a good all-around rifle. Not sure whether it is as good a choice as my Norinco NHM-91 (pictured in my avatar), the Chinese RPK variant of the AK-47.

So, how do lever action rifles compare to bolt action firearms? I found an interesting review of how they compare in speed. See, Action Type and Rate Of Fire (Part One).

How does the Winchester '94AE compare to other lever action rifles? Some say Henry is better than Winchester.

Anyone care to discuss pluses and minuses?

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I have the plain model 94 and love it. bought it back in 1974 for about $79.00 and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. It's only shot about 30 rounds.

The only drawbacks I find as compared to your Norinco, during fast fire, the cases land on your head and it takes only 8 rounds, but it's a sweet rifle to shoot and like you said it's an all around caliber.

You'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool deal, Aviator! Say, I imagine it's tough having that much money tied up in an 'ol, used rifle... tell you what - I'll offer you what you paid and pay shipping ... :smoke:.. Hey! Just trying to be a pal! LOL!

From what I understand, Winchester repeaters, beginning with the 1873, had that pesky problem of cartridges ejecting from the top. My model 1894 is called a "side ejector" by Winchester, but it's really an "Angle Eject," thus "AE," rather than a true side ejector like a Henry... but, I could top-mount a scope on it!

Still, it seems every rifle has ejection issues. Try taking your AK to the range and watch people to your right duck everytime you shoot! I always try to get the bench on the far right!

Rather than explain to the wife why I bought another rifle, I wrapped it and placed it under the tree. It's not I'm hiding anything - Huh uh! I'm just helping wife and daughters, saving them the trouble of having to Christmas Shop for me! Besides, I don't need anymore clothes. Now, they can feel good about getting me the perfect present without knowing who got it for me! Hehehe! Merry Christmas, AClay47! Oh Santa, you shouldn't have! :D

Hmmmm! I wonder if Santa carries a "coach shotgun?"

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Everybody should have at least one lever gun, congrats.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aviator said:
Oh AClay. I couldn't sell it to you for what I paid for......It's used...LOL.
$100 ... cash ... American. :smoke:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have two marlins, one in .22 and one in .30-30 and love them both. I bought them back around 77 or 78 and have never had a problem with either of them other than the .22 getting a little rust after a house fire last year. I prefer Marlin?s because of the side ejection of the spent round. Also the action on the Marlin?s are a lot tighter than the Winchester?s I?ve seem. Pickup one of each and shake them, the Marlin makes no sound and the Winchester will rattle a bit, deer have a great sense of hearing and that rattle can lose you a kill. Another thing is Marlins Micro-groove barrel; it?s the better of the two makes by far. I don?t care what you get; they?re both good shooters and can last for generations. I found when I started shooting the .30-30 lever action I didn?t hold the gun tight enough and the lever would pop open a bit under recoil, so hold it tight. I?ve been told this is normal if you have a loose grip. Above all have fun, your next purchase may be a Colt Single-Six or my favorite the Ruger Vaquero in Stainless Steel. I you ever fire one in .45 Colt you?ll fall in love again. If I didn?t have Carpal Tunnel I think I?d be doing some Cowboy Shooting like I did thirty-five years ago. It?s a bitch getting old.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
;)
Thanks Oldgunner!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I had a Marlin 336 in 30.30 and it was a sweet little gun, but too light and it punished my shoulder. I got rid of it stupidly since it was Glenfield my Uncle bought when he came back from Nam. I also had a bolt action Glenfield Marlin .22 and a Sears H&R 12 gauge. I sold them all, but I did pay my uncle for them, so it wasn't that bad and he had no attachment to them. He hadn't fired them since 1975 and guns just don't impress him much after Nam.

Wish I had it now though, but the Marlin was a sweet shooter with a really nice buck carved in the stock as well.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard Marlins are very sweet!

Hey Jeff, did you notice how AClay47 bought himself a Christmas present a few days ago? Man, have his eyes opened since. Somehow, I recall the following line:

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Don't know if I've been found, but now I see (at least more than I had). Somehow, I doubt the Model94AE under my tree is going to bring the same joy I will share with other members of this Board while tending to a family in need.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good buy Aclay...:thumbup1:

I have always had a love for lever action weapons..
My father had a Winny 30-30 that we used to shoot growing up.
It was stolen out of his truck when I was still a pup though:mad:

I have been looking more and more at em in the last year having a LA 22 cal..Just doesnt have the kick...

Its on the list for 2005...
Along with a
K31 Swiss
Mosin 91-59
and cz550....

·
Troubles shot. 5 cents.
850 Posts
Lever guns are perhaps my second passion behind Swede Mausers, tied with N-Frame S&W revolvers. Current inventory includes:

Winchester 94 in 30-30, my late father's pre-WWII deer rifle
Marlin 336-Something in 30-30 with a straight gripped stock, not a Marauder.
Marlin 336 "Spikehorn" Youth-sized 16" carbine, 30-30; handy little number
Marlin 1895 (1972, first year) in 45-70
Marlin 1895SS in 45-70 with Ballard rifling
Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70 with Ballard rifling
Marlin 375 in 375 Winchester, Microgroove rifling
Marlin 1894-Something in 45 LC, straight stocked 16" carbine, Ballard rifling
Marlin 1894 Carbine in 357 Magnum
Marlin 39A .22 Rifle
Marlin 39M .22 Carbine (two of them) with straight stock
Browning B92 in 357 Magnum; copy of Winchester 92

Noah

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My rifle has a large loop lever, much like that used by the "Rifleman." His Winchester 92's rapid fire was assisted by an adjustable screw in the loop lever. Attached is a picture.

See, The Legendary Rifle: A Closer Look. The Rifleman's Winchester was a .44-40 carbine. My 94AE is a .30-30, and I don't have the adjustable screw .... yet! ;)

John Wayne first used a large loop Winchester 92 years before, and you can catch a glimpse of it in many of his movies..

Attachments

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Lupeloff said:
Everybody should have at least one lever gun, congrats.
I agree with that. I need to get off my duff and buy one.

I came across a NIB Winchester 94 at a flea market about 2 years ago. It was a 30-30 rifle but I foget the barrel length.

The guy wanted 150 for it but his story was so fishy I was afraid it was hot, so I passed on it.

Too cautious I guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 16" Marlin 30AS 30-30. Awsome gun. We should go shooting somtime Clay.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Funny this should turn up here today.
I went to a friend of mine's house yesterday, and wound up trying five rounds out of his Henry big boy .44 mag. WOW! what a nice gun! the lever is the smoothest I've ever run, the thing feeds beautifully, and shoots like a laser beam. Recoil is gentle, even with full power .44 mags. I'd bet it'd be non-existant with specials or cowboy loads.
Now if it just wasn't near $600 at wal-mart........

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Samuel said:
I have a 16" Marlin 30AS 30-30. Awsome gun. We should go shooting somtime Clay.
Samuel,

I agree. Need to go shooting!

Why not join us at the next local gun show? Me and several others help out with Grassroots NC - admission and parking is free! I just got back from one, and everyone had a good time ... mostly shooting bull! LOL!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Custer said:
I agree with that. I need to get off my duff and buy one.

I came across a NIB Winchester 94 at a flea market about 2 years ago. It was a 30-30 rifle but I foget the barrel length.

The guy wanted 150 for it but his story was so fishy I was afraid it was hot, so I passed on it.

Too cautious I guess.
Yeah, that sounds a little hot! I think msrp is $469 for the Trapper. That's not one of the more expensive 94s. The going rate at Gun Shows was $350, but one of my buddies talked the dealer down to $300 out-the-door - nib. I couldn't pass that up. Now, it's sitting under my tree, waiting to be opened on Christmas Day. Wife and daughters will wonder which of them bought it for me. I won't tell!

Cammobunker, I hear Henrys are reeeeeeeal nice!

·
Registered
59 Posts
AClay47 said:
Samuel,

I agree. Need to go shooting!

Why not join us at the next local gun show? Me and several others help out with Grassroots NC - admission and parking is free! I just got back from one, and everyone had a good time ... mostly shooting bull! LOL!
Let me know about the next show. I think Greensboro is in January.

I also for got to mention. The nice thing about the US repeating arms type leveraction is the top eject. If you wear a cowboy hat with a cupped rim you can catch your brass. My dad had it down to an art. He could hold about 100 cases up there.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AZ99 said:
Good buy Aclay...:thumbup1:
I have always had a love for lever action weapons..Its on the list for 2005...
AZ, you're going to have a great time choosing. What little I've read about lever action rifles suggests there is a big debate between which is better, Winchester or Marlin? It seems to be argued about as much as Ford vs. Chevrolet. Marlins are true side eject, whereas Winchesters have long been top eject, which can be a nuisance. More recent Winchester models are AE (angle eject), which ejects spent cartridges from the top sidewards.

Of course, lever action rifles come in a variety of calibers, too. You could get one to fire pistol rounds, even .357 magnum!

If you're looking for a historical experience, the Winchester 73 must be tempting. Known as "The Rifle Which Won The West," it is the predecessor to the Winchester 92 and 94. Finding a Henry repeater would be something, too.

Hope you have a good time searching for your lever action!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts