Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pressed the barrel pin out lastnight and knocked the barrel out of the trunion on my AMD 63 kit.

It was easy! I didn't even use a press just my big old ugly monster bench vise.

I used the vise like a press to push the pin out and it was a snap! Then I hung the barrel in the vise with the edges of the trunion of the vise jaws. I have peices of aluminum channel to put over the vise jaws to protect against marring.

I took a 2 lb hammer to beat the barrel out. I put a nickel on the barrel face and used a 1/2 deepwell socket the beat against that. I would have used a peice of brass stock, but I couldn't find it in my garage. It took about 3 good hits to get it started then several medium hits to send the barrel out of the trunion. Never did I have strain myself or hit it as hard as I could.

Then I punched the rivets out with a punch after squaring then up with a Dremel disc.
I'm doing a screw together, but thought it would be better to get the trunion off to make tapping easy.

When I put the barrel back in I will heat the trunion in the oven and put the barrel in the freezer overnight. Hopefully I will be able to tap it all back in place as I have read in other posts. If not then it will be plan B, whatever that is?

No longer am I a paper Tiger or keyboard commando :D

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7.62x39 said:
Alright SR, way to go

What are you going to use for a receiver?
I bought an ACE blank back when we had that AM63 group buy. Tonight I will. probably start cutting the front end to get the trunion to line up.

My ORF AK is all stripped down on the bench next to my work area to double check my measurements too.

Who knows, tonight I might get all the holes drilled in my blank too.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Don't forget to put some antiseize on the barrel or inside the trunion and pin to keep the metal from galling when it is reassembled. Jack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Front / Rear Receiver Dimensions

I measured some front trunions at 1.255 wide.
The height should be 1.20, right?

What is the correct rear Height? Measured from what point?
Thanks

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Don't worry about a measurement for the rear height. Install your barrel and then use your top cover to set the spacing for the stock tang. You'll be good to go and the top cover will be nice and tight.

Edit: According to the strangelove print, the rear height should be approximately 1.700". I'd prefer to have my parts fit properly than worry that it agrees with a variable dimension on a blueprint.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
SangRun Hunter........

It's great that you started your build. Good luck.

I'm still in the process of gathering all the tools I need. Got 2 short barreled stubs (AK-74) from K-VAR to practice on before starting. Also got some rivets to practice with also.

It seems like this is taking forever and I just have to chill out until I have everything I need.

Again, good luck on your FIRST!!!!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tomorrow night I will have pics and a story! All I have left to do is cut the top rails minus the trunion cute which I did and I have only 7 hours in it total. (I will have to install lower rails if I ever order them :confused: .

My idea on finding the correct place to drill the holes for the trunions worked out great. It will be in my pics tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts