Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to mail the prizes for November and the post lady grilled me on the packages and what was in them.

The box with the AMD kit jingled a little even though I spent a lot of time packing it with care. She wanted to know what I was shipping. I told her machine tool parts and she rolled her eyes.

Now I'm wondering if the package won't be subject to some kind of extra security measures. This is the first time I've ever been questioned as to what I was shipping. She was totally rude the entire time as well and I had to wait 20 mins in line as it was! I must remember to not ship stuff downtown from now on. :angry:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I've never had them to ask me what was in the package, but usually they will ask if it contains explosives, flamable stuff, etc. I think they started that after 9/11. I don't like to have stuff ratteling around in any package I ship. It always raises the curiosity of shippers.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Sang, you should have just dropped the kit off at my house and not gone to any trouble.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Usually here they ask if there is anything liquid, perishable, fragile, or potentially hazardous. Of course the answer from me is always no. I guess it helps that the workers at the local post office recognize me (as I am there at least two times a week or more mailing things). Only time I had a problem is when i sold a chinese drun a few years back. It was sent priority mail from here to Washington state. It took a month to get there. It kept going between a post office in California and a post office about 10 miles from where the buyer lived (this was showing up on delivery confirmation as it kept getting scanned at each of the post offices, plus it was insured). Needless to say i called the 800 number for the usps and they patched me through to the post office it was shown as being at. I told the lady on the phone if it wasn't delivered I was going to file an insurance claim (had it insured for over $100). She asked what was in there and I said a gun magazine. She said a gun? I said no if you listened I said a gun magazine and according to postal regulations I can ship it with no problems. She then said she would look into the whereabouts of the package as it probably had the wrong address. Needless to say the buyer had it within two days of the phone call and he emailed me and said the address on the box was correct and he has been getting mail at that address for quite a while. I guess this shows that it is good to stay in contact with a buyer to make sure things get delivered ok (especially with delivery confirmation showing the problem above), the post office makes mistakes, and there are some ignorant people that work in some of the post offices.

And sang, I don't see where it should be a problem with your package - but for parts kits I wrap everything in bubble wrap then use either the styrofoam popcorn, plastic bags with air in them (like the ones amazon.com uses), or newpaper. Helps to keep any rattles to a minimum.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
When I sent a gas tube to a member the other day I had it with me and I showed it to the lady at the Post Office and asked if it was OK to put in a Priority Envelope. She asked what it was, as it was a tube shaped metal object. She kidded me and said it looked like it could be a pipe bomb, and I said no but it is a gun part. She just rolled her eyes and chuckled but if it was someone that didn't know me I would have been a bit freaked out by her questions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you know that law and know that what you are shipping is 100% legal to ship before you go in to mail it , snotty clerks (I've actually NEVER ran into one at the Post Office) seem a little less irksome. If you KNOW that it's legal and you KNOW they have to accept it , no problem.

The only time I've had a temporary setback while mailing something , was the time I mailed a knife to Canada , after checking and double checking the clerk was 100% sure that it was in fact legal and commented that the only possible problem c-o-u-l-d be on the Canadian side , which it turned out , there wasn't.

When I ship stocks , parts , whatever , I just tell them , "gun stock" , "gun parts" , etc. My thought is that if I make it seem normal , it will be normal and the next person who comes in wishing to ship gunparts gets that 'no big deal ' look rather than the ' OMG G-U-N parts! ' look.

Somehow that ANTI's have us trained to be ashamed or secretive about "gun stuff " and worried about someone asking about stuff , particularly when we ship stuff.

Relax , we are doing something legal , moral , and healthy. :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Its not against the law to mail a parts kit. Thats how we receive them. I am having problems at my post office as well. Ever since I started mailing the T-Shirts......they want to weigh every G** DA** thing I bring in.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
without getting to the entire story . we had a new clerk at out post office. she made a mistake the first time I saw her. next time I saw her she made demands that I owed her money because she rang it in wrong!! I eventualy gave her a dollar and said keep the change. ever since I get a shit ass attitude. twice I have gone their and was told a price that seemed too high so I brought it one town over and the price was about 1/2 . clearly they are ripping me off. now I take everything to the other town.

it seems to me that the postoffice is saying they are in money trouble ,, they should be trying to keep the customers they have , NOT letting the attitude go in the crapper.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
hotbarrel said:
without getting to the entire story . we had a new clerk at out post office. she made a mistake the first time I saw her. next time I saw her she made demands that I owed her money because she rang it in wrong!! I eventualy gave her a dollar and said keep the change. ever since I get a shit ass attitude. twice I have gone their and was told a price that seemed too high so I brought it one town over and the price was about 1/2 . clearly they are ripping me off. now I take everything to the other town.

it seems to me that the postoffice is saying they are in money trouble ,, they should be trying to keep the customers they have , NOT letting the attitude go in the crapper.
I use click and ship for priority mail packages. I didn't go to the usual post office I go to and they must've never seen a printed out sticker with postage on it already or it was a new employee. Either way they put it on the scale and say I owe them $3.85. I had to calmly explain the click and ship label and that it already had postage on it. The lady got another postal worker and he said that I was correct and so she apologized profusely about the mistake. Then she asked where I bought the labels and how click and ship worked, lol. I told her the website I bought the labels from and how to use click and ship on her home PC. My thought is they should train their employees better, especially as click and ship is on the usps website.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I used to go through the UPS store which used to be the old mail boxes etc.. I was mailing out 1:24 die cast cars that I sold on ebay and every time I went in there the prices were climbing. I asked the lady what it weighed and then went over to USPS with the same package and was a lot lighter. Found out later that they set the scales heavy to make their profit. I went back to the same lady at the UPS store and told her she ripped me off and I showed her my weight slip from USPS and I made her refund my money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts