Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2:30 AM the little box beside my bed goes beep beep beep, a voice says station 17 you have a structure fire at Syvill Jean loop. I thought about what the doctors said for about half a second, then headed for the Station and my BRT.
Got home at 7:00 AM. Just now woke up. Why can't I quit?????

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Be carefull Lupe and I understand what you are dealing with on a smaller scale. I got 6 herniated discs in my back and I had therapy last year that has kept me upright for over a year, but I stll do things I should not.

Take care of yourself.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
If you are trying to kill youirself, go ahead. I can always meet you in the afterlife, if there is one.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Lupeloff said:
...Why can't I quit?????
I'm not convinced that you want to. And if things turned out alright, I'm also not convinced that you have to.

Did things turn out OK for you, are you any the worse for wear for having gone out on the call?

Yeah, if you're screwing yourself up you gotta slow down. But if you're not, go for it! [I also have this amusingly bizarre mental image of a volunteer fire fighter wearing an oxygen bottle, with the potential for some rather spectacular results, but I presume you don't have to be on oxygen when you're out and about.]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would just not feel right if I read in the paper that someone lost their life because I didn't feel like doing the job. No, I leave the O2 at home.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Because it is who you are. You are the guy that gets up out of a nice warm bed at 2:30 A.M. and goes out to face the flames and save people. I just pray that you don't hurt yourself. But it might be time for you to teach the next generation and pass down your knowledge and let them do the "heavy lifting". God bless you Roy !!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Well I would say you probably need a good swift :buttkick:, but you probably wouldn't listen. Hang in there Lupe.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Lupeloff said:
I would just not feel right if I read in the paper that someone lost their life because I didn't feel like doing the job. No, I leave the O2 at home.
Well, we wouldn't feel right if we read in the paper that you lost your life because you did feel like doing the job.

Sounds like you must be doing OK, though, if you can go out on fire calls and not rely on oxygen while you're doing it. How are you doing?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Well, we wouldn't feel right if we read in the paper that you lost your life because you did feel like doing the job.

Sounds like you must be doing OK, though, if you can go out on fire calls and not rely on oxygen while you're doing it. How are you doing?
Some days are diamonds.
Some days are coal.

Happen to feel almost human today.:)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Lupeloff said:
...Happen to feel almost human today.:)
I'd heard that you actually are almost human.

But I didn't believe it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Lupeloff said:
2:30 AM the little box beside my bed goes beep beep beep, a voice says station 17 you have a structure fire at Syvill Jean loop. I thought about what the doctors said for about half a second, then headed for the Station and my BRT.
Got home at 7:00 AM. Just now woke up. Why can't I quit?????
Because you're a firefighter. It's in the blood.

I know! But take care Bro!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts