Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked her into buying me a new copy of a Winchester 1987 pump shotgun for Christmas. The next day, I took it apart and stripped the finish off of the stock. She couldn't believe I did that to a brand new gun. :rant:

The stock and foreend was a real good grade of walnut. Not burl or anything like that, but very dense walnut with a small amount of figure in it. It was finished with some kind of sprayed lacquer or something.

I hand rubbed the wood with oil, two coats a day for three days now. It is starting to look like a stock off of a high dollar gun. My wife is somewhat impressed, and admits that I knew what I was doing. :D

I also took a stone and rubbed the sharp edges off of the exposed hammer and used cold blue to touch up the white spots. You can't even tell that I did that, except it doesn't have the sharp edges any more. :)

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Wives...............what the hell do they know. :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
Hey!! ah ah never mind....
Dang SD...........I thought you was too busy flirting with Smeg to notice.:lol:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
DorGunR said:
Dang SD...........I thought you was too busy flirting with Smeg to notice.:lol:
Naw, DorGunR its just an act to throw people off so nobody can figure out the truth about his "appetites"!!!:naughty: Heh! Heh! Heh!

Not really, its just platonic!!!!!My SO would never approve.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
Naw, DorGunR its just an act to throw people off so nobody can figure out the truth about his "appetites"!!!:naughty: Heh! Heh! Heh!
Hey SD.....I did post a nice pic of you on the "Beer" thread.........take a look. :)

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
DorGunR said:
Hey SD.....I did post a nice pic of you on the "Beer" thread.........take a look. :)
Thanks but my SO won't let me pick up sailors, especially in El Paso, Texas. Not a lot of water to attract 'em..

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
Thanks but my SO won't let me pick up sailors, especially in El Paso, Texas. Not a lot of water to attract 'em..
:rofl:

·
Registered
522 Posts
You might think about boneing your stock. (NO that's not what it means).

It was common practice in the old days of wooden stocks to take a bone or something round and smooth and rub the stock after oiling it. This would close the pores of the wood and give it a great shine. I think you would like the result.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
fal_shooter said:
You might think about boneing your stock. (NO that's not what it means).

It was common practice in the old days of wooden stocks to take a bone or something round and smooth and rub the stock after oiling it. This would close the pores of the wood and give it a great shine. I think you would like the result.
Used to do that to my baseball bats.

Did not help with hitting Uncle Charlies though.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
N/A said:
1987 shotgun...or 1897 shotgun?
Yeah, I meant an 1897. :bangin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts