Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeap, I should have, but I did not.

This morning the wife complained for the 25th time about the master bathroom sink draining slow.

"Well if the girls wouldn't brush their hair on top of it, it wouldn't happen" I said.

So on I went to the garage and picked up one of those hand turning plumber snakes for sinks (as an always ready handyman I have one), go back. removed the plunger lever, replaced the ball and seal (if you've ever done it, you know what I'm talking about) and proceeded to insert the snake . To my delight, after a few turns, the water started flowing, but then I realized it was flowing on to the floor.........The Horror, Flooded bathroom. Oh shit.

The snake went right through the p-trap and put a hole at the bottom of it.

Take all the water out and attempt to take the damn piece of pipe out. Here is where it gets interesting... I am very good at designing electronic stuff and lately very good at selling property, but I'm a lousy freaking plumber. It took 3 trips to Home Depot, put the thing together 5 times and take it apart 4 times, curse more than a dozen times and because of my physical size (6'4" almost 300 lbs) I bumped the toilet really hard so now I have to reset it and re-grout it, have to also regrout the sink (it's a pedestal type), but alas, I wound up with a wonderful collection of wrong size pieces of tubing I have no use for....can I place them in the "For Trade" section?

I think It would have been cheaper and faster to call a damn plumber, but no, I'm a handyman, I can fix anything.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
aviator said:
I think It would have been cheaper and faster to call a damn plumber, but no, I'm a handyman, I can fix anything.
aviator........been there done that..........I can feel your pain my friend. :)

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only taken 5 hours of my time and I want to finish painting the interior of the house by Christmas............Just finished the grout.:angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
aviator said:
It's only taken 5 hours of my time and I want to finish painting the interior of the house by Christmas............Just finished the grout.:angry: :angry: :angry:
Ahhhhh............the joys of home ownership. :smoke:

BTW...........you are one big mofo........remind me to never piss you off. :)

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DorGunR said:
you are one big mofo........remind me to never piss you off. :)
oh yeah, I stopped growing taller about 30 years ago and started growing wider,

I'm srinking now, seriously, about 6'3". but at my prime, 6'4", just like my kids now.

It makes it tough to get into that little plane of mine.

By the way...we are finishing the company website, if you care to visit

www.Goodhomerealty.net,

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
aviator said:
By the way...we are finishing the company website, if you care to visit

www.Goodhomerealty.net,
Man........thats a beautiful picture of Miami..........cool website, let me know when you have it finished. :smoke:

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I quit doing plumbing work around the house years ago.

I got tired of turning 5 dollar repairs into 200 dollar repairs.

It was embarassing to hear my little girl run into the house breathless screaming "Mommy, Mommy, Daddy has his tools out again."

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear you Custer, I'm a pretty good handyman for most things, but plumbing is definetely not one of them. 1", 1 1/2" and 2" pipes, they all look the same to me....

Cephus, I'm a tropical creature, can't stand snow....and the hassle that goes along with it....when it drops to about 55 deg. I already have a jacket on.

BTW, the website is being built by Noah-Zark from the fancy place. He's helping me out at a reduced rate. Nothing exotic, but it does the job.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
aviator,
I talked to you the other day and told you I got a complete new well. Ok my plumbing didn't know what water pressure was, because it never saw real water pressure. Most of the pipes were so happy they just burst. Know how ya feel.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lupeloff said:
aviator,
I talked to you the other day and told you I got a complete new well. Ok my plumbing didn't know what water pressure was, because it never saw real water pressure. Most of the pipes were so happy they just burst. Know how ya feel.
Oh shit! No wonder you've been busy......

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Custer said:

It was embarassing to hear my little girl run into the house breathless screaming "Mommy, Mommy, Daddy has his tools out again."
:lol: :lol: Sorry Custer.........but that was damn funny.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Aviator,

I had the reverse experience. We had a toilet stop flushing, so I called a plumber, a relative of a friend. It cost me $300!

Next time we had a toilet problem, I did it. Since then, I've rebuilt several (replaced the internal parts), as well doing ordinary repairs such as replacing flaps. My first repair was a near disaster, since it was a learning experience, but I got it done for less than $25 in parts, doing the same repair that cost $300 (I've since had to repair what they did). I've also replaced a garbage disposal and learned many other home repairs. I remodeled a former home, now a rental property - even building a door unit for an odd-sized basement opening and cutting and installing wrought iron railing for the porch. I replaced a second story window unit, installed storm doors and on and on ... Needless to say, I learned all that after putting aside the practice of law two years ago, and I feel better for having done it. One problem is when relatives learn you know how to "fix" things, they call you, instead of the handman. I installed a bathroom vanity in my sister's house, as well as several electrical outlets.

So, don't worry about the first repair, or repairs. When I first began, I figured if I screwed up the worst that would happen would be I'd have to call a repairman. I never have. Then again, I have hired contractors for repairs that take more than one man - except I installed a window unit on a second floor without assistance and repaired gutters damaged in an ice storm... oh, yeah, I removed a 60 foot tree which fell on our rental property across the roof and through a window - The insurance company was glad I did, because they would have authorized a crew with a crane. One determined guy with a 16 inch chain saw can do wonders!

People in the neighborhood thought I was a contractor! Often they stopped when I was working to tell me how nice the house looked. I got a lot of compliments on the asphalt driveways which I repaired and resealed (grass had grown up through them, and they were cracking).

So, I say don't call the plumber for minor repairs. Go to Lowes, tell them about your problem, and let them suggest how to repair it. Buy a home repair book. But, then again, that's just my opinion, and situations vary. I found it rewarding.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your mistake was calling a relative of a friend, He obviously knew you were a lawyer so he overcharged you............:) .

I agree, there are a lot of things you can do to save a few bucks here and there. But others are better left to contractors.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yep, I left the roofing work to contractors. One reason is it would have taken me weeks to do it by myself, but less than a day for a crew, plus they were reasonable... I agree there are things better done by organizations and craftsmen.

But ...Avaitor, I'm really glad I did that stuff. Before, I didn't think I had it in me, but much of what I did was better than professionals, and I got great satisfaction from it.

I still do home repairs, such as installing a water heater, patching a concrete drive, etc., and I'm thinking about building an outdoor fountain/pond next year.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Water heater....that was another deal, I wound up calling a plumber that time. I've been living in this house for 20 years now, so things need to get fixed every now and then, I can do plaster work, painting, I have replaced the pool equipment, doors etc. But at first I didn't think I had in in me either, however, when the pool people charged me close to one thousand dollars for replacing the filter I decided to learn very quickly.

I had a pond, actually, my son built a pond with fish and everything, until some roots broke through the lining and the whole thing went dry.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Aviator, I knew you had it in you!

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Custer said:

Boy that made me laugh!!! Too funny.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Aviator, I did my first 'snake' job this weekend too. :D Our tub was clogged because my daughter dropped one of those suction cups things down the drain. My Dad had given me some snake that attach's to your drill, so I decided to finally give it a try. I did the bathtub with no relative problems except for the thing smacking me in the face as I was bringing it back out. :sick:

I then decided to do the bathroom sink since that was clogged too. I didn't go through the p-trap because I was afraid I'd crack the pvc so I went into the pipe that sticks out directly from the wall. I cleaned the p-trap first by hand. I didn't have any problems until it came time to put the pipe back on. It isn't a perfectly straight connection and the pvc pipe has to kind of bend back into the other pipe. I finally got it all back together just to discover it leaked! :mad: It took me around three hours to get it back on the right way. LOL

However, both the tub and the sink are now clog free and I can use the plumber money for Christmas presents. :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Good work, Sandy! Very good job!

Usually, I use Liquid Plumber, if a plunger doesn't loosen the clog. If that doesn't work, I will remove the P trap and clean it out. It's a hassle, because most cabinets have lots of stuff in them that have to be removed, and they're usually a mess. But, other than that, a sink's plumbing is usually simple.

I had to replace my kitchen sink's plumbing, because it was leaking, so I know what you mean about making it fit. Mine needed some new pipe, which took some cutting, which was a little tougher, since I had a garbage disposal and two bowls. While I was there, I put rolling organizers underneath, which made the kitchen cabinet more usable. Now, to get something, I just pull the organizer tray out.

What usually takes longest is figuring out how best to do something. That's probably why most home repair books tell you to plan your repair or improvement in advance. That's easier said than done, however, because something unexpected almost always creeps up.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sandy, on a PVC pipe, once you take it apart, you'd better replace the fittings, otherwiwse it may leak, This bathroom, even though it's been remodeled, they used chrome tubing, so I guess it corroded after 20 years

1 - 20 of 31 Posts