1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Columbia to give $50-$100 for guns

By SHALAMA C. JACKSON and LAUREN LEACH

Staff Writers

Columbia is hoping to reduce crime by reducing the number of guns in the city.

The city will be offering $50 to $100 per firearm to those who turn in their weapons from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Capital City Stadium.

?When you take guns off the streets you save lives,? City Councilman E.W. Cromartie said at a news conference Tuesday afternoon. ?Make our streets, homes and neighborhoods safe.?

The idea for ?Gun Amnesty Day? came from the Unity 2004 summit in October, which focused on improving services and programs to decrease youth violence.

Unity 2004 leaders gathered Tuesday morning for a follow-up session and were told by City Councilwoman Tameika Isaac Devine that a Teen Hot Line will be available in January. By dialing 311, teens can talk to specially trained operators who will offer guidance regarding violence issues.

Teens who are in gangs can call if they want to know how to get out. If they have information they want to share, they can do so anonymously, Devine said.

Saturday, people will have the opportunity to turn in guns with no questions asked, Cromartie said.

Individuals will receive $50 to $100 per firearm, depending on the type of gun and whether it is operational. The guns will be destroyed.

For safety reasons, organizers ask for all guns to be unloaded before exchange.

Similar programs have been tried in the country?s major metropolitan areas, including 10 years ago in Columbia.

In April 1994, more than 350 weapons were swapped for gift certificates. The department collected a variety of guns including rifles, .22s, .38s, semiautomatic weapons and sawed-off shotguns.

City Manager Charles Austin, then police chief, recalled one man who turned in a gun and refused the incentive. He said the man was prone to domestic violence and wanted the gun out of his home to prevent him from using it on his wife.

Reach Jackson at (803) 771-8512 or [email protected] or Leach at (803) 771-8549 or [email protected]

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Great idea.

What a wonderful use of taxpayer dollars.We the dimokrats of S.C. agree that this is a wonderfull idea.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I wonder if a guy has to be a resident of the state? I know where you can pick up a bunch of Jennings, Davis, Bryco, and similar junk 25 cal semi-auto pistols for around 25 bucks. It might just help pay for a guys vacation to stop by and sell some junk guns.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pogo said:
I wonder if a guy has to be a resident of the state? I know where you can pick up a bunch of Jennings, Davis, Bryco, and similar junk 25 cal semi-auto pistols for around 25 bucks. It might just help pay for a guys vacation to stop by and sell some junk guns.
Pogo, why don't we go in as partners to make a buck or two?

First, we will get all the bottles and cans we can find and go to Michigan for deposit refunds. Then we can use the proceeds to buy up all the cheap thug guns in Detroit. Then a nice trip to SC to make some real money.

When we're flush, we can do a little fishing and still come home with some extra jack.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Dang, and me fresh out of $25 Century u-fix-em m44's.
I foresee a lot of old not completely functional guns being turned in. Out-of-time revolvers, semi-autos that don't feed, guns with groken firing pins, el-cheapo guns like the jennings ect, dead hi-points, spanish .32 autos, ect.
Will they never learn?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once in awhile some poor old person turns in a family heirloom because they just don't know any better.

I have my doubts it is destroyed by the officials.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
dinkydow said:
What a wonderful use of taxpayer dollars.We the dimokrats of S.C. agree that this is a wonderfull idea.
:wallbash: can we ever be in the news for something great? heck, I'd settle for good......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts