Gunco Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware this e-mail Grinch! A virus embedded inside electronic holiday greetings could make your computer more vulnerable to spammers or hackers if you click on it and download it. CNN reports that the so-called "Zafi" e-mail worm comes with the subject line "Merry Christmas" and an attachment titled "Happy Hollydays." (Note the odd spelling.) The worm is in the attachment and is only activated if it's downloaded and executed.

In less than 24 hours, the Zafi worm has spread hard and fast across 18 European countries, but so far it has not made a huge impact in the United States. The time difference between Europe and the United States has allowed antivirus companies to update their virus protection software. This is the fourth variation of Zafi worm, which was first detected in April. But this time it comes with a clever twist. By detecting the location of the domain name, Zafi translates the message title of "Merry Christmas" into language that matches that domain. So if the domain has an ".fr" in it, Zafi would list the subject line in French. This increases the probability that someone will open the e-mail.

"We call it social engineering," Joe Hartmann, a director with the antivirus company Trend Micro, told CNN. "Are you going to open a message with Swedish text in it if you don't speak Swedish? Probably not. But you might if it were in your own language." Zafi is now considered a "medium" threat.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Got hit with that one yesterday on my oldest, cleanest e-mail acount. Exactly as described, it had a pair of humping smileys along with the "Happy Hollydays" and a clickable link with my ISP's domain name in it as well as an attachment. Looked like what it turns out to be so I deleted it. The sender name was "Pamela M." although I'm sure there are plenty of others.

If it's not one thing, it's another...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts