Gunco Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my garage right now bonding Lexan togther with some MEK.

This stuff rocks! I can't wait to see what kind of parts I can come up with :cool:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sang, What the heck are you thinking of making with Lexan, if your thinking of hand guards you can try finding someone that works with Plexiglas. I used to work a few doors down from a guy that did signs and custom work in Plexiglas. And before I moved to the farm I had ton?s of the stuff, all free from his Dumpster. I had clear, green, red and black Plexiglas big enough to make hand guards from. Now I?m sorry I tossed it. I?ve seen the stuff as thick as 4? and he said it came in a 4?x8? sheet. Damn thing must have weighed a thousand pounds. By the way it?s not a good idea to use it around high heat, it?ll warp then blister and eventually turn yellow then brown/black as it burns, also it?s denser than wood so a stock would be very heavy. It?s great as a display box though.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lexan can be used to make all kinds of stuff and it's much better than Plex. My Dad has made trigger guards and other non bearing parts.

One could even make FCG part sans the hammer.

It's not clear whne you bond it either. Turns milky white, but I would paint it if I made stock parts.

One thing I'm working on is a mount for optics that will fit in the place where the rear site goes. I'll either attch some 1913 rail to it or make the 1913 style rail out of it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Seems to me a lot of the Plexiglas I had said Lexan on the peel off paper, but I would guess there are different makers of the same type product. Pretty much its all Acrylic. Plexiglas has become a generic name for plastic sheet, kind of like Kleenex is for snot wipes.
Plexiglas is great to work with but you really must have good ventilation, that MEK will kill you.
I found the heavy stock machined well and I used it for fixtures when I built RC airplanes, that was back in another life before I got married.
If you can find some thin white plex sheet it makes a good accent on sporting rifles when it?s placed between the butt plate and the wood, also under the grip cap.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
aviator said:
Careful with that MEK. Highly carcinogen.

Aviator, sorry for stepping on your post. I was trying to ask, breathing or skin contact? How about when it evaporates during a paint curing process?

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
scubadvr said:
Aviator, sorry for stepping on your post. I was trying to ask, breathing or skin contact? How about when it evaporates during a paint curing process?
breathing as I understand. use in a well ventilated area.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Actually, MEK is dangerous both airborne and on contact. Use Gloves, an Apron, and a Respirator. Bad, bad stuff.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh boy, could be why I feel so ill today? I was ventilated well, but I did get some on the hands as usual. Woke up feeling like a truck had run me over, but I've been feeling better as the day goes on.

I'm not always as carefual as I should be. Thanks for remiding me guys.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
MEK is one of the nastier common solvents. I get twitchy after minor exposure. I normally use organic vapor cartridges in my respirator when working with it, but I still get minor effects.

The best thing for you is to get plenty of fresh, clean air. Leave the windows open and turn the furnace up if you have to, but get lots of fresh air after exposure.

Just to scare the hell out of you...

Potential Health Effects

Eye: Causes eye irritation. May result in corneal injury.

Skin: May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis.

Ingestion: May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure.

Inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by nausea, headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause numbness in
the extremities.

Chronic: Chronic inhalation may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation. Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis. Animal studies have reported that fetal effects/abnormalities may occur when maternal toxicity is seen.

And here's a couple MSDS links for Methyl ethyl ketone for future reference.

http://www.prism.princeton.edu/PRISM_cleanroom/MSDS/Methyl ethyl ketone.pdf

http://www.temarry.com/MSDS/Methyl_Ethyl_Ketone_msds.htm

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! Its good stuff, but I will be more careful now on. I have been using gloves and use in a ventilated area. I will increase my efforts. Jack

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn! I got the shits real bad, I got a headache that won't go away and I've felt dizzy all day.

I need to be more careful for sure. I get in a hurry to see what I can do and that's bad.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sang, I'd say if your symptoms last for more than 24hrs you might want to be considering visiting your physician. Sounds like you may have inhaled a skosh too much. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to pursue further work with MEK in a well ventilated area with a real, rated for chemical exposure, respirator. Any local home supply store should stock them, and it should cost around $1000 less than a day in the hospital.
Stay safe buddy!

EDIT: Of course, you could just have the same Flu-like crap (no pun intended) that seems to be going around right now, too. Have you taken your temperature lately? Any fever going on here?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm feeling better in the last few hours. No more MEK untill I get a breather!

Gloves to instead of just hoping to be careful. I just got over the flu, so I might rule that out.

BTW: The shits stopped too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts