·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill would allow state police to enforce immigration law
Friday, Dec 17, 2004

By Doug Thompson
Arkansas News Bureau
Arkansas State Police officers could be trained to enforce immigration law under a bill prefiled for the upcoming legislative session.

The training is offered by the federal Department of Homeland Security. House Bill 1012 by Reps. Jeremy Hutchinson, R-Little Rock, Timothy Chad Hutchinson, R-Lowell, and Michael Lamoureux, R-Russellville, would authorize the state police to send troopers to that training.

The Hutchinsons are brothers and nephews of Asa Hutchinson, deputy director of the Department of Homeland Security.

Homeland Security will "pay for the training, which takes five or six weeks," Timothy Hutchinson said in an interview Thursday.

"We introduced this bill because every member of the Arkansas congressional delegation is trying to get more federal immigration agents and another office into the 3rd Congressional District, and haven't been able to," Hutchinson said. "The result is that a police officer who makes a stop and then finds reason to believe that the person he stopped might be in the country illegally has to call the federal office in Fort Smith, which doesn't have enough manpower. Fort Smith will often say they can't send anybody.

"This way, the law enforcement officer could call the local state police troop and get someone to come out," Hutchinson said.

The training from Homeland Security includes training in civil rights, and avoiding abuse of those rights, Hutchinson said. "Anybody who abuses this authority would not only have that authority taken away, he would also probably be fired as a state trooper," Hutchinson said.

Alabama has fully implemented the program and Florida is in the process of adopting it, Hutchinson said.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Can state and local law-enforcement folks arrest someone for something that is prohibited by Federal law but not prohibited by state law or local ordinance?

I know they generally don't, but I'm wondering if that's because they have enough to do enforcing state law and local ordinance, or if that's because they don't have jurisdiction.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
And what if police can enforce immigration laws? Who will come to deport them? INS is so understaffed I don't see how this will work.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well, I can think of one way that local cops could enforce immigration laws without requiring that anyone be deported: I have long been sniveling about how there is no enforcement of the Federal immigration law prohibiting hiring of illegal aliens, and that documentation be maintained in the employee's personnel record of his or her right to live and work in the USA. All you'd have to do is audit personnel records and enforce the law when the requisite documentation isn't there.

But, then, we'd rather chase illegals around in the desert and spend tons of money deporting them when we can catch them instead of do anything about the people who are drawing them here in the first place: They're not coming here to take vacations, you know. It's sort of like putting a fence around your neighborhood and having patrols around the perimeter to keep people out of your neighborhood who want to buy dope - while ignoring the crack dealers hanging out on every street corner.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You really want to put those mom's and pop's in jail?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts