Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to find out how much experience you guys have in bending flats into acceptable receivers.

I have built half a dozen AK's using Hesse or Vulcan receivers and am happy with the results. I am toying with the idea of buying one of 555th's or DPH Arms' bending jigs and using it to bend some flats. My objective is to build a receiver that I can use for fixed stocks, underfolders and sidefolders.

I'd like your advice about what flats are best, what to look out for, how to use the jig properly and any tweaking you discovered. Oh yeah, how much time does it take to build your first receiver --- how much does it take to build the second?

I asked a lot of questions but know that your answers are always valuable.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have done one. I used a jig that SKS hunter made. it worked great sharp corners, NO streaching or ripping. it took about 15 min to get it just rite on the jig and about 20 min to bend it up. it was a tapco blank it too seemed to work fine. prety easy and fun . the only reason I do not make all my kits on home bent, is the selling problem later on. no numbers = no good. just my oppinion.

as for buying a jig,,,,, this is my oppinion , sorry if I offend anyone but he asked and I am NOT selling anything. so here goes , picture in your mind pushing the blank directly into a hole with a knid of piston. that is like a shear, if the clearance is loose enough to alow it in then it will not be tight enough to make a sharp corner. the blank is pushed up rite at the bend. I think maby this method would be better if it was done in a few steps, starting with oversize hole to press into to get the bend started . then press again in a smaller one to tighten it up some . then a final press to dimention. this way the frist press will be pushing from a bit further out. even dooing all this you still have trouble getting a sharp corner I would think. enough clearance to slide down means not tight enough to force it into the corner without scrapeing the sides I would think. . the best method to bend is to support the entire flap not just the very corner. with the flap supported then fold like a brake. I do not know how anybodys presonal jig works here , I have read some posts but I can not put a name to a styl, I think I will stop here before I upset anyone . I will PM you with some more info. NO OFFENCE to anyone or thier tools just my oppinions. :thankyou:

·
Registered
825 Posts
hotbarrel said:
I think maby this method would be better if it was done in a few steps, starting with oversize hole to press into to get the bend started . then press again in a smaller one to tighten it up some . then a final press to dimention. this way the frist press will be pushing from a bit further out. even dooing all this you still have trouble getting a sharp corner I would think. enough clearance to slide down means not tight enough to force it into the corner without scrapeing the sides I would think. . the best method to bend is to support the entire flap not just the very corner. with the flap supported then fold like a brake. I do not know how anybodys presonal jig works here , I have read some posts but I can not put a name to a styl, I think I will stop here before I upset anyone . I will PM you with some more info. NO OFFENCE to anyone or thier tools just my oppinions. :thankyou:
Hotbarrel,
This is the way I designed my jig. Each fold takes two steps. It even does the top rails without hammering. It takes more time, but does a nice job.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've bent about 30 or so. 3 of a 555th jig and the rest with a really slick prototype jig. After using the prototype I sold my 555th. With the prototype you can go from flat to finished receiver including welding rails in less than 8 minutes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay, now I am starting to drool. I?d like to hear details about the prototype and whether you plan to produce it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
sounds like their are a lot of options and even some new and improved options. their are a lot of smart guys thinking about and working on this.
gtbehary... any pics it sounds good to me.!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
hotbarrel said:
sounds like their are a lot of options and even some new and improved options. their are a lot of smart guys thinking about and working on this.
gtbehary... any pics it sounds good to me.!!
I believe I posted these before, but here are a couple.
Note: Top pic is of the prototype. Bottom pic is the final version with a gauge that I set the top rail length with.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Now that is what I am talking about!!!!! their is a NICE set up. it looks very well tought out. thanks for posting the pics I missed them before.

·
Registered
825 Posts
This system takes a while to use, so it's not really for production work. It does a nice job though.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
F-Troop said:
I'd like to find out how much experience you guys have in bending flats into acceptable receivers.

I have built half a dozen AK's using Hesse or Vulcan receivers and am happy with the results. I am toying with the idea of buying one of 555th's or DPH Arms' bending jigs and using it to bend some flats. My objective is to build a receiver that I can use for fixed stocks, underfolders and sidefolders.

I'd like your advice about what flats are best, what to look out for, how to use the jig properly and any tweaking you discovered. Oh yeah, how much time does it take to build your first receiver --- how much does it take to build the second?

I asked a lot of questions but know that your answers are always valuable.
Well it seems that each time a flat is bent the process goes by quicker. My first flat bent took longer than my fifth flat on the dpharms jig. I can get a flat bent and the top rails bent over in around 7-10 minutes. As for lower rails I haven't got a spot welder yet, so either I need to try to justify another tool purchase to my wife or see if there is someone who will rent one to me. -OR- I can use 4-40 screws and attach a few rails that way. I also have a jig I got from justashooter a while back when he made a few and it works, but for me it seems like more work than using the press with the dpharms jig. There are many great ideas and methods for bending the flats and they all seem to have success stories in one way or another (except for wayne's jig - but that is another story ;) . )

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The idea of building receivers from flats started me to thinking about the problem of heat-treating. Some of the guys suggested buying 4130 sheets and cutting flats from them to save money. Others suggested Ace flats, Ace lower rails and their great template.

The fantasy I have is building a dozen or two receivers in a weekend, then having to heat treat each (or some of) the holes.

Any suggestion about heat-treating more than one receiver at a time?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
i psted about a cheap tig welder in a catalog, the other day i saw a tig welder at a local weld supply for $350 , shure it is not the best one out their but plenty good to do a job like rails .not too pricy.. basicaly it will do what a mig will do with better controle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts