Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting problem with some ak-74 magazines. I recently finished my bulgarian 74 kit and fired it this past weekend. I had two mags with me. One functioned fine but the other one was not picking up the cartridges to feed reliably. I tried all of my mags tonight and noticed a problem I have not heard anyone talk about. I have 10 circle 21 mags, 1 E.German bakelite and 4 circle 10 mags. Every one of the circle 21 and the bakelite mags fed and functioned perfectly, but all 4 of the circle 10 mags would not feed every time off of the left side of the magazine. I guess the mags at different factories have slightly different specs and that is causing the problems. The unreliable mags are a little looser and sit lower allowing the bolt to slide over the cartridge. I am not going to change anything and I just hope the circle 10 mags work in my next build. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this.

Joe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have never noticed this , but I shurely can see it happening. I would say try them in your next build or sell or trade them. personaly I do not like the idea of some mags fit only some guns, they should work in all of them.
HAY another thought may be to build up the tab on the back of the loose mags. this will lift them up and tighten them up. maby something to think about.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I read a post somewhere about a guy who had some 74 mags that would only feed from one side.
He didn't mention what markings they had, but it could be the same deal.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have an M38 turkish clearly it has a fixed mag and it only feeds from one side too. I had to put in a shim on that side to help. I am not saying this will fix your issue but it did help my trouble.

·
Registered
514 Posts
OK - do this....

Unload, remove TC, remove spring, bolt carrier, and bolt. Insert mag with a dummy round (I don't advise a live one - you decide). Using JUST the bolt, ride over the mag & observe how much contact there is between the bolt & round to be chambered.

If you have very little? Your trigger guard spacer is too thick. This assumes your mags are not flopping around due to FT/latch spacing issues. An overly thick trigger guard spacer can be fixed - but you'll need to remove the TG to do it. After this - grind down the BACK side of the TGS (part against the receiver), and check often for correct bullet "pickup" as outlined above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts