Gunco Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That was my view during the design as well; I just didn't see the need for the extra expense of tool steel for the arms. They are pretty short, and unless you get carried away with the press, I made them beefy enough that you won't be able to bend them. Two of the three arms have a hardened drill rod insert; this is the part that contacts the rivet and it is unlikely to mushroom out unless you plan to make dozens of rifles.

I did look at tool steel parts, but the steel price would drive the price of the jig up another $30-50, not including heat treatment, and it would add quite a bit to production time since I can't do the treatment myself.

robpiat said:
At this point, I don't see any need to harden it. Unless you screw up, you wont be able to bend anything. He used mild tool steel, but AK rivits are soft as can be compared to it. The only way I could see you hurt anything is if you went way overboard squeezing. Even on a 12 ton press, you can feel the rivit squeezing and know when to stop.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Nice looking Jig. I think you have a pretty good idea there. Is there any chance of you putting the dimensions in the Gunco library so some of the members can make thier own??

·
Registered
57 Posts
VERY NICE-GOT MINE TODAY.
I havnt done a build yet with it but played around with it it looks like it lines up fine.
By the way does one of the arms reach the underfolder rear trunion rivets{Sorry Im slow]You might have mentioned this already.
Thanks german

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi German,

Arm #2 should reach back to squash those underfolder rear rivets. If you have difficulties with that, let me know - I can send you a blank rivet arm that should also work nicely.

In the next batch I'm doing a big of a design update, and I'll either include another arm for the underfolder rivets or I'll tinker around to make sure that one of the existing arms does an A+ job of setting those.

Mike

german said:
VERY NICE-GOT MINE TODAY.
I havnt done a build yet with it but played around with it it looks like it lines up fine.
By the way does one of the arms reach the underfolder rear trunion rivets{Sorry Im slow]You might have mentioned this already.
Thanks german

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey mike,
that works for me, If you do come up a arm that will reach better,Put me on the list. I will get funds out asap.3-4 underfolders to build looking for the best way to reach back.
Thanks again
German

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Defens,

I like the question that 555th asked and I'll go one better consider selling plans for those of us who live on a budget with more time than money? I know you have put lots of time into R & D to get things right and I think that you should be paid well for your efforts. I think that offering plans would be another option to consider.......:wink: :wink: :wink: :thankyou:

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
DeFens said:
I'll consider sharing the plans, either selling sets or just posting the dimensions - perhaps both. I'll have to get caught up in building the next batch of jigs, before I can draft much of anything up though.
I didn't mean to make that post to try and hurt your sales at all. I really think you have solid design there and that it would be an excellent addition to the Gunco Library. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
555th said:
I didn't mean to make that post to try and hurt your sales at all. I really think you have solid design there and that it would be an excellent addition to the Gunco Library. :thumbup1:
Yeah, what he said. I don't think it will hurt your sales at all. People with the knack for this kind of thing will try to build one anyway. Those that can't or don't want to (like me) would much rather buy one from you. :wink:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not a problem, guys. I've learned enough from this community, I have no qualms about giving back to it. It's just a matter of drawing up some plans for y'all. I'm much better at hacking metal than I am at dimensioning drawings! :)

ohmysac said:
Yeah, what he said. I don't think it will hurt your sales at all. People with the knack for this kind of thing will try to build one anyway. Those that can't or don't want to (like me) would much rather buy one from you. :wink:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Done several builds on this guy now...Very pleased!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks Rob! I'm really glad it's working well for you. How's the rear rivet setter working?

I've got a bunch of vacation and projects to finish up in the next few weeks, but I'm going to get back in production around the end of next month. Hope to churn out about three dozen in the Oct-Nov timeframe. If you have any suggestions for design improvments (other than heat treatment on the rivet setting parts), please let me know!

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'll be going back into production next week, and will start accepting pre-orders on October 1. I'll be building around 12-15 jigs this batch, and will follow up on that with another 12-15 jigs, depending on demand.

Thanks for your continued interest, guys!

Mike

BigMac said:
Man, I'm lookiing forward to you going back into production. Waiting almost patiantly for the call to send funds.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts