Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that Wisconsin folks will rest a lot easier knowing that Chai Vang's hunting license may be revoked next year. I dunno, maybe he thinks that people will not be able to carry a weapon after all that wrist slapping. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.tomahjournal.com/articles/2004/12/03/opinion/01edtrespass.txt

Editorial: Northwoods tragedy calls for review of trespass law

Six people are dead after a hunting dispute in Sawyer County. While the tragedy has launched a debate over which guns should and shouldn't be allowed in the woods, it raises another important issue: trespassing.

The man accused of the murders is a Hmong immigrant, but the idea that Hmong are somehow uniquely hostile or ignorant to the idea of private property is undermined by a Sauk County incident last week. Dale Fleming of Lyndon Station and a 16-year-old juvenile are accused of beating a Reedsburg landowner when the landowner requested that Fleming and the 16-year-old, both dressed in blaze orange, leave his property. It was the second violent hunting dispute in Sauk County this year. In the other incident, a hunter beat another man with the butt of his gun over a trespassing argument.

Perhaps it's time to toughen Wisconsin's trespassing law. The maximum fine for trespass is $1,000, but if lawmakers want to hit trespassers where it hurts, why not restrict hunting and fishing privileges for those who abuse private property rights? This shouldn't apply to a first offender who inadvertently wanders onto private property and immediately obeys a request to leave. Instead, it would sanction those who regularly trespass or respond to landowners with belligerence and threats.

Private property rights aren't absolute -- landowners have no right to destroy habitat or manage their properties in ways that degrade the property of their neighbors. However, if there's anything that's absolute, it's the right of a non-commercial property owner to decide who may and may not enter his or her land. This year's violent deer season is a grim reminder that there are people of all races who don't respect private property rights. Put their hunting and fishing privileges at stake, and there's a chance that number will shrink.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Preacher said:
However, if there's anything that's absolute, it's the right of a non-commercial property owner to decide who may and may not enter his or her land. .
This guy must be living in some other country, private property owners have little real control over who enters their property and almost no legal way of removing a trespasser other than calling the cops. Even if they've cut a fence or climbed over one, if they don't offer you violence you can't just beat them or shoot them or even phsically throw them out without facing some penalty if they decide to pursue it in court.

But if he really believes he's got the absolute authority over who can enter his property, I invite him to post signs on his property that say something like "No Jews Allowed!", or No Blacks Allowed!", or No Gays Allowed!", or something similar and let's see how long he still believes that he's got the absolute right to decide who may and may not enter his land.

I don't mean to offend anyone with the examples I used above. I used these examples simply because I know it will get him in deep trouble really fast. If he posted "No White Men Allowed!", or "No Christians Allowed!", or "No Gun Owners Allowed!", he'd be perfectly within his rights and no one would say a thing against him. :confused:

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
3rdpig said:
But if he really believes he's got the absolute authority over who can enter his property, I invite him to post signs on his property that say something like "No Jews Allowed!", or No Blacks Allowed!", or No Gays Allowed!", or something similar and let's see how long he still believes that he's got the absolute right to decide who may and may not enter his land.

I don't mean to offend anyone with the examples I used above. I used these examples simply because I know it will get him in deep trouble really fast. If he posted "No White Men Allowed!", or "No Christians Allowed!", or "No Gun Owners Allowed!", he'd be perfectly within his rights and no one would say a thing against him. :confused:
I think that would be perfectly legal as long as you are not running a business open to the public.

As an individual, you still have freedom of association rights in private matters.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Custer said:
I think that would be perfectly legal as long as you are not running a business open to the public.

As an individual, you still have freedom of association rights in private matters.
In theory yes, but in actual practice? If a landowner put up signs telling a minority to stay out, it may be perfectly legal, and the landowner may spend so much time and money defending himself against lawsuits brought by the ACLU that he'd have to take them down or go broke with the lawyers fees.

More than one business has shut down rather than face the expense of defending itself against a frivilous lawsuit brought against them by a government funded group that can afford to pay a horde of lawyers however long it takes to force a company to fold or capitulate. I think a most private persons would capitulate even quicker under this kind of pressure.

And let's face it, there are certain judges, and certain courts that would uphold any action brought by a group such as the ACLU, a private person may have to appeal several times in order to bypass a liberal judge or a court such as the 9th circiut court.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I suspect the ACLU might defend you if some government official required you to be non discriminatory in your private life.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Custer said:
I suspect the ACLU might defend you if some government official required you to be non discriminatory in your private life.
Be a curious experiment, very discriminatory signs, posted on private land but easily viewable from, for example, a public highway.

You may be right Custer, I may be totally off base here.

But either way, it doesn't change one thing, the biggest gunshow of the year in Arizona is today and I'm headed there now with a pocket full of plastic. :woot:

Have a great day, I always enjoy reading your take on things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts