Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Tommo the only one who is active on this site? I realize that there are other members here, but everyday I check the site, I see 1.6 billion posts by member Tommo, all over the site, most of which is typically regurgitated info with no real value. So just wondering if anyone is actively on this site, or is it a one man data dump site?

Is there anyone who shares the same views?

Understand this is not meant as a attack, just a question.

·
gunco irregular
3,595 Posts
Tommo is a long time member who's been here longer than I have. He isn't the owner and doesn't have ties with them. In it's heyday Gunco was an extremely active site. The golden age of kit building when AK kits came with a barrel and were under $100 shipped is long gone and so are the multitude of active build threads. The vast majority of kits already have multiple build threads on them from various members. It's to the point that even if members do build something they're unlikely to start a new build thread on it as the build isn't earth shattering and often there a much better detailed older thread covering it. I'll occasionally post a quick and limited detail build thread if I'm bored. But like most members here that are still building, most of my builds don't get a build thread.

Tommo's threads are mostly information with a few jokes thrown in. I don't read/watch all of the links/videos he posts, but I do if they interest me. His posts are in line with the Guncom mission statement:

"Gunco Forums
A forum community dedicated to AK-47 and AR-15 firearm owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!"

If you have questions on a build, start a thread or search through the older build threads. Feel free to place whoever you want on your ignore list. This is a free site to join and contains a wealth of information, but like all sites it isn't a good fit for everyone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tommo is a long time member who's been here longer than I have. He isn't the owner and doesn't have ties with them. In it's heyday Gunco was an extremely active site. The golden age of kit building when AK kits came with a barrel and were under $100 shipped is long gone and so are the multitude of active build threads. The vast majority of kits already have multiple build threads on them from various members. It's to the point that even if members do build something they're unlikely to start a new build thread on it as the build isn't earth shattering and often there a much better detailed older thread covering it. I'll occasionally post a quick and limited detail build thread if I'm bored. But like most members here that are still building, most of my builds don't get a build thread.

Tommo's threads are mostly information with a few jokes thrown in. I don't read/watch all of the links/videos he posts, but I do if they interest me. His posts are in line with the Guncom mission statement:

"Gunco Forums
A forum community dedicated to AK-47 and AR-15 firearm owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!"

If you have questions on a build, start a thread or search through the older build threads. Feel free to place whoever you want on your ignore list. This is a free site to join and contains a wealth of information, but like all sites it isn't a good fit for everyone.
I see, no offense intended, as sometimes these typed statements can seem so mean, but it is hard to get the point across without typing for two hours, just wondering. Thanks and have a great day.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
What Moleman said. Back when Gunco got started the kit building community was fairly small and there wasn't a lot of info out there. Most of us were "making it up as went along" and posted what we found worked, and just as important, what didn't. AFAIk the first practical AK flat bending jig was created by a member here, and he very generously shared it with all of us. A search of the older posts will reveal all manner of build info for AKs and other guns. Tooling too, a large percentage of the commercially available tools today started out as someone posting a photo of some scrap metal they had ground and welded into a tool of some sort.

As more folks discovered kit building could yield an affordable gun from "scrap metal", the community grew and Gunco was pretty active for a while. Especially when the process to do so had become known from trial and a lot of errors! As a famous German once said: "Some people learn from their mistakes. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others".

But times change, and the lack of available parts kits along with increasing costs have curtailed some parts of the hobby. Today most folks who "roll their own" are putting together AR15s and Glock clones from DIY kits. Not much info is needed there beyond the instructions on the maker's website, plus tons of YouTube vids detailing things. This was always mainly a build devoted site, and a lot of the "political discussion participants" left for their own forum long ago. Plus us old timers are just that, old. Many are no longer with us, sadly. Over the years the folks who visited regularly have dwindled.

I'm also a member at the AKfiles and Weaponsguild, two more build oriented sites. Weaponsguild is still a mainly builder's site, but more for the hardcore crank up the mill and lathe and give me that piece of steel bar, "I'm fixin' to make a gun" types. AKFiles has very few build threads active, but has a very robust marketplace and is full of general and political discussions. It too has a vast array of knowledge to pass on, mainly in the older posts just like Gunco.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm an old member too & still get on here about every week. I remember when it was the best forum for AK building. I got a lot of ideas on how to build & gave a few ideas too, that's the way is was back then. Everyone would put there ideas into the mix & amazing things happened. Most of my hand made building tools were influenced by ideas I saw on this forum. It's still a great forum for kit builders with all the BIY posts, I have a few times looked through the old posts to see how we used to do building. It's good as a reference page.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This doesn’t really matter but I go back to day one way back when! As ownership of these sites changed so did members. Most sites are owned buy Canadian Companies which is very interesting considering and that has chased everyone away obviously. Many are gone now AK47 dot net was the first and that’s kaput. Fn fal original is gone kaput….and don’t forget some originals have passed away. I’m still around and there are still many contributors but Tommy is great! It is what it is and maybe just maybe all these years many may have been Canadian and you can now see what has happened. So we carry on with experience and information to help others.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,859 Posts
lots of us long timers just h elp when asked now days.... its all been done so many times, theres just not much new to share.

Reactions: Tommo
1 - 9 of 9 Posts