1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By KEVIN DUFFY, KATHY JEFCOATS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/06/04

A teenage grandson of former President Jimmy Carter was arrested in Peachtree City on Saturday night after police say the youth broke into a house and tried to hide under a bed.

Peachtree City police charged Jeremy Carter, 17, with burglary, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and being a minor in possession of alcohol. Carter appeared in court Sunday and was released on $11,500 bond.

The McIntosh High School senior is the son of Annette and Jeff Carter, Jimmy Carter's youngest son. Jeff Carter said Monday night: "My son is innocent. This is ridiculous. He will be exonerated."

He declined further comment. Deanna Congelio, spokeswoman for the former president, also declined to comment.

The alleged burglary occurred at the home of Terry and Kay Beckom in Smokerise, a subdivision in which house prices start in the $700,000s.

Kay Beckom said Jeremy Carter used to be friends with her son, Terry Lee Beckom, who now attends high school in Florida.

One of the Beckoms' sons, Kayce, 14, said he was listening to rap music and decorating the family Christmas tree Saturday night when he heard the phone ring in his bedroom. The youth said he dashed upstairs and was astonished to find Carter trying to get under his bed.

"I said: 'What are you doing in my room? You need to get out,' " recalled Kayce Beckom, a freshman at McIntosh High.

Kay Beckom said that Jeremy Carter then left the room with her son's broken Xbox video game console and ran out the back of the house, where he climbed a 6-foot brick wall.

Another of the Beckoms' sons, Brad, and two of his friends said they met Carter by his golf cart, which was parked in front of the house.

They took Carter back inside, and Kay Beckom called the police.

The Beckoms told police that they also found a plastic strong box in their swimming pool. The empty box had been broken open.

Kay Beckom said that Carter also had removed an African mask and plaque that were displayed in the basement but had left them in the back yard.

According to warrants issued by a Fayette County magistrate, Carter had a plastic bag of marijuana in his left shoe, and his breath smelled as though he'd been drinking.

Kay Beckom said she anguished over calling the police but finally decided it was the best thing to do.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/met...4/07carter.html

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Peachtree City is a pretty high class area. Probably has some lesser areas too, but a lot of high rollers live in that area. Ain't the kinda place you wanna go prying back doors and sneaking in and stealing stuff. Private security and alarm systems everyplace.

Yep, he's got some Billy blood in him. :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Bummer that Carter's grandson is a thief.

Even bigger bummer that every president since Carter has been a thief.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
You know you are in a high class neighborhood when the burglar has his own get away-golfcart. Jimmy Carter - As B.Bunny would say "what a maroon".

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Just noticed that: I'm used to articles about minors not giving the kid's name.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Give the kid a break.
He's suffering from "grandson of the worst president in the history" syndrome. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
Don't like Carter but I don't wish troubled kids on anyone.
I like Carter, but same sentiment. Good that he got busted, especially good that he got busted while he's still a minor so his record need not follow him into adulthood. Hopefully that will be a wake-up call for the kid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts