Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally came down to it and Joe had to pony up. Take a look at these pics posted by Joe and see if you can tell what the "Horn" receiver actually is... I'll give you a hint; they were flat...

Does that selector dimple look familiar to anyone? It should.

Notice the holes in the bottom of the receiver under the trunnion and stock tang? Those should look pretty familiar to some people, too.

Even the lower rails give it away. Notice that the ejector has those nice sharp corners. That should be the final clue...

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice looking Tapco flat:thumbup1:...lol...

Not that there is anything wrong with the tapco flat, just the way JoeKen... Ah, hell with it, its not worth the energy to type a comment about those asshats.:sick:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Someone should send a copy of those pics to the ATF. I am sure they would have something to say about the nail scatched text...lol... and maybe, just maybe, they will knock some heads around over there.:thumbup1:

I mean, how offen do we get to make the ATF work FOR us?

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
at least this one looks better than the other one pics were posted of in the BIY II section at gunsnet. Of course as my dad always told me "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear". I wonder how many will be sold? The markings of manufacture etc don't look very deep - so I wonder how the markings will hold up over time?

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta agree with ya, Sniper. If these flats are actually constructed properly, there's no reason they wouldn't make a fine receiver.

From the pics posted, the bends look sharp, the lower rails are spot welded, there is a mark on the ejector that looks like it was hardened, and the center support rivet is flattened on the selector side.

As long as the builder is doing these right, there should be no complaints (except for the traditional Jokin' customer service). Jokin' is listing these for $59.99. Considering that they are basically charging $30 to bend, weld, harden, rivet, and paint the receivers, it's not a bad cost. I'm sure they bought bulk flats from Tapco and got a big discount, but the cost is comparable to the OOW.

I am still going to complain about the stock tang holes in the Tapco flat. So far every trunnion I've compared them to lines up. However, I want to use the Tapco flats for a PMKMS, AMD-63, 3 AMD-65 variants, and my 2 WUM-1 kits. The stock tang holes in the flats are fine for the 63, 1 of the 65's and WUM-1's, but not the PMKMS or standard 65. I can fix that in about 1 minute with a MIG welder, but I still wish they hadn't punched the stock tang holes...

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I never really followed any of the "horn" receiver threads from the beginning. What exactly did joeken claim about these receivers? It was obviously a Tapco flat before it was anything else.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would bet that they are not properly heat treated...........buy a joken special for $60 or a Vulcan or OOW for less , hmmm............what W-O-U-L-D you do ?

BTW, THE ATF WILL DEFINATELY HAVE ISSUE WITH THE TOO SHALLOW SCRATCHING !

If 'they' (who ever they are) want to keep their manufacturing liscense (assuming that they have one) they better not sell ONE receiver with those easy polish off markings.

I wouldn't buy one of their receivers , on that point alone.

"Yeah , so I bought ona dem joken receivers and after I built my rifle with it , the ATF declared them illegal , so I had to rip it all apart so the ATF could confiscate it and then joken wouldn't reimburse me.............."

STUPIDITY PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

If you are going to 'manufacture' don't be a dumby , get your stuff straight BEFORE you release it to the public.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Sad thing is that the required depth for the engraving is .003 by ATF's requirement. Looks bad, but it is legal.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
scheistermeister said:
you can get them without the holes...
the question is, why would you? when there are reputable manufaturers out there that won't steal your money.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Did anybody realize how old this thread is?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
sniper69 said:
Did anybody realize how old this thread is?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good point Sniper!!! I wonder too???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts