Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a guy puts a foreign made muzzle device on a AMD-65 and it is welded on That should be just as good as a us device because now it is part of a foreign made barrel.I would think that the U.S. muzzle device idea would only come into play if it was removable.What say you.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Counter argument:
trunions are riveted to frames and can't be removed and yet they remain seperate parts on a parts list.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Theoretically, that sounds correct, but remember who we're dealing with here.
Normal train of thought, does not apply.

Only way to be sure, is to write the alphabet guys

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I see your point but seeing as how it is impossible to have half a foriegn barrel and half a domestic barrel when the two parts are welded together you have one foriegn barrel I should think.They are not readily seperated.I believe the whole idea of the rule about muzzle devices in the first place was all imported guns had remoeable ones. I dont recall ever seeing a foriegn gun with a permently attached muzzle device.The notion of welding them on never happened till the AWB in 94.Trunions are a whole different matter as the parts count thing doesnt apply to just AKs. It encomposes a whole bunch of guns .Some that dont have trunions and some that have welded on trunions and still others like the Ak that are riveted on.Im going to call the tech branch on monday again and see what I can find out.Hope I dont get the last guy on the phone that I talked to.After about 5 min. of his dancing around my question I layed into him and he got so pissed he hung up on me.LOL

·
Registered
286 Posts
It was my understanding that it was a parts count things as well as an "evil feature" deal as well. Legally you could have a detachable magazine and ONE evil feature. This is what made it possible for the M1A to have a detachable magazine and a flash hider. The threaded muzzle in and of itself was considered an evil feature so you had to permanently attach your muzzle brake so that it was considered one piece even though it theoretically counted as two parts. Now that the ban has died you can go ahead and have all of your evil features and so long as your parts count is correct on an imported gun you are good to go. If you have a foreign made barrel and a foreign made flash hider then you have two foreign made pieces. If it were me I would come up with enough domestically produced parts and pieces to retain my threaded muzzle. Just my two cents, let us know what the nice people at the ATF have to say on it. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a foriegn barrel and a foriegn flashhider and they are welded together you no longer have 2 foriegn parts but rather one foriegn part is what Iam thinking.This a AMD-65 and I need the long flash hider for legal length so I came up with the plan of using a G-1 flashhider cut down to 4 3/8" and turning down a muzzle nut pressing them together then blind pinning the whole mess together for a length of 16 1/4". At least that is my plan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts