Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let everyone know that the K-VAR (and it looks like everyone else's)scope side rail (the part that get's riveted to the rifle) doesn't fit the TAPCO flat rear trunnion rivet hole spacing.

I believe that you can get it to fit by some cutting where the axis pins need clearance and using the most forward rear trunnion rivet. But in doing this the rail will be moved back approximately .300". Don't know what effect that would have on eye relief.

At this time I'm still undecided about using the rail.

"Click On Picture To Enlarge"

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Try to find a Romanian side rail. Some people have taken them off of SAR rifles in order to put underfolding stocks on them, so they are available. Romaian side rail has a longer rear tab. I beleive Tantals website has some rails to fit AKM trunion. I'm sure you are aware that AKM and AK74 trunions are different thats what the problem is. :)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vis said:
Try to find a Romanian side rail. Some people have taken them off of SAR rifles in order to put underfolding stocks on them, so they are available. Romaian side rail has a longer rear tab. I beleive Tantals website has some rails to fit AKM trunion. I'm sure you are aware that AKM and AK74 trunions are different thats what the problem is. :)
I knew that the rear trunnions are different on the Ak-74 as opposed to the AKM strange thing is that the rail won't work on my 74 either. The rail fits a little closer to the rivet hole but no cigar.

Looks like I'll either cut this one or look for another (AKM).

·
1,763 Posts
I haven't checked it against the Tapco flat, as mine are still flat. But when I put them on two 74 folders they worked great.(both OOW's) The only issue is the fact that there was no relief for the cross rivet.
I believe these were made for milled receivers. Partly because of the lack of the relief and the other is they were shipped with 3 long rivets.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kevin_m4...
That looks real nice. I don't know what the problem with my rivet setup on the AK-74 was but I had to trim the rear of the selector or it would hit the rivet. Someone said that it might have been a RPK rear trunnion which is longer than the standard one.

But that build is overwith and I'm trying to get the AMD-65 going again. Seems like after getting the lower rails setup for spot welding I've run into delays. Oh well, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ditto on kevin_m4's post...

I've added the KVAR rail to two '74's and one '47... ALL receivers from OOW. They go in flawlessly - but you need to make a clearence cut for the center support.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Your saying there is no way at all it will fit a Tapco receiver? Man, I have one on order right now. Maybe I will have to put it on my MAK-90.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts