Gunco Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I wouldn't own a mismatched gun unless I'd gone right through it myself with gauges and a fine tooth comb first,,Hell even with matching ones I check -um,, even modern production guns,,,,

I check them all when I get them, even if I have to borrow some gauges. I'm just fussy that way. It pays though I'd gotten a 44mag Rossi lever gun back several years ago and it closed on a no-go right out of the box, so I sent it back. That was the only gun I'd found, other than some mismatched milsurp ones that were out . But it just goes to show you,, it don't hurt to check a gun over real good,,old production or new. It only takes 2 seconds to slip a gauge in and it's cheap insurance.

Many of you guys have seen pics of my Mauser's before, and there all pretty much pristine ones and half un- fired/un- issued ones that don't get shot anyways, so I have no worry's about any of mine.

I agree I don't care for Turk ammo much either,it's way hotter than it needs to be and just plain filthy besides. IMO if you have a sound gun it shoots fine if it's been stored right and doesn't show any green or white corrosion around the bullet or primer that is. If it does,,chuck it and don't even think about shooting it, the powder's breaking down and the cases are weakened and for sure is questionable at best, and IMO dangerous. I have shot allot of it over the years, granted quite some time ago now sense I've been out of it for a long time. Other than the occasional high pressure sign on the primers or a cracked neck, which is common with the Turk, I never really had any major issues with it myself. But it is getting to be 70 Plus years old and older now so it's getting close to being components any way. And I don't really think there's much left to be had anyways, so it's almost a non issue nowadays.

The "Persian" I wouldn't and never have used before. Some of that shit is pushing WW1 vintage and that powder has to be funky by now.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey TWA, How are you?

Yes TWA, you are correct. I always try to get all matching firearms. But sometimes I cant and I check em with a gage before firing. 90% of my firearms are matching.

I still have thousands of rounds of turk 8mm in bandoliers.

That Iranian ammo is crap. I knew it when I bought it but just wanted it for the cases and the 'boolits". Thanks for the advice on the ammo. I really appreciate you looking out for me.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I'm doing OK STG,,just been busy with car shows and getting the car finished up. I'm Getting closer, but there's a Hell of allot more to do rebuilding a car than there is a gun, a TON more money involved too!
I have either a car show or 4 wheeler rides planed for the next 5-6 weekends sometimes for both weekend days. Of course there's a huge amount of general ,,Dubbing off going on around here too! Surprised? I love retirement and being single now!!!! Good stuff!

I even took a top 50 trophy last week end at a 2 day show with >600 cars there,,and that really surprised the Hell outa me sense the Buick's not even done yet!! There were so many sweet cars there,I can't believe I got one,guess I must be doing something right. People seem to enjoy seeing the old Buick getting done up and like what I'm doing with it. Most of these folks saw it when I first got it and they've been following the progress I've made on it in the last 3 years and by all the votes I got,,I think they approve.

Hows all been with you? I know I haven't been on much lately, but I've just been to damn busy playing around,,of course! And in a hour or so I'm loading up to go on a 5-6 hour 4 wheeler ride with the club today,,,More Fun today,,,,It Just Never Ends!! Yea!!

Life Is Good!

BTW,,how is the safety on your Polish T33 you got? I want to get one to match the PPs43 I've got and had wondered about the safeties on them. I gather some are good and others not so much, from what I've read. How's yours?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
TWA,

Good to hear from ya.

I hate them crappy add on Tok safety's. As far as TOK safetys it's OK I guess. Its better than the ones on the rommies I bought years ago. It just messes up a perfectly good pistol. Poor little TOK, it was like me and you, minding its own business and not bothering anyone and someone had to go and add that monstrosity of a safety to it.

Whats the "gummit" gonna require next? Safety harnesses in the shower so we don't fall down?

Oh BTW I just love my my PPS 43C. That thing can shoot. I am toying with the idea to go the SBR route with that one.

My PPs 43c is in 7.62 x 25 but I see they are selling them in 9mm now.

Does anyone here have one in 9mm?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Ya, that was my first though about the safety too, but it is what it is. Is it at least usable? Some are stiff as boards and you can't even get to them with out dismounting. Frustrating,,,is it at least somewhat smooth and usable?

I know what you mean about the PPs I've only shot 3-4 mags through mine and I was impressed how it shot,,,I'd love to have that folder out,, but that SBR $$$,,,,ouch,,what a pain,,really what is the difference actually? It's not a target gun nor will the stock being open really make it shoot any better or worst closed or open?? Don't get it ?? Oh Well,,Big Brother in there infinite wisdom I guess. I guess they got to get a extra couple hundred out of us one way or the other just another fee! I saw the 9mm's but why get one of those in a more anemic cartridge and for a hundred bucks more,,not really worth it to me. I know the X25 can be a bitch to get, but I won't be shooting it all that much anyhow and it's a way more potent a round than a 9 is.

One will do me,, it was just one of those ,,,"Oh Cool,,I got to get me one of those ",,, kinda things,,,, you know how it goes!! Friggin Kids!!

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
Sweet. I've been looking at those. Might have to pop on a couple. Thanks!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts