Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this link
This guy loaded his .223's with pistol powder by mistake.Luckily no one was hurt.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
All I can say is WOW......That should be mandatory reading for anyone that is interested in reloading.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their God-givin right to be stupid.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I saw this a year or two ago, it impressed me and makes me think about how fragile an aluminum receiver can be. Don?t get me wrong, I understand it was the ammo, but aluminum seems too shatter into more parts than steel. I gave up reloading years ago and won?t shoot anyone else?s reload in my AR.
The old guy that?s my FFL dealer has a rifle that also went "Kaboom". It looks to be a Japanese (?) copy of a Mauser action. Only about a third of the chamber is left. The bolt and magazine were blown out and the bolt was later lost. He says it happened back in the mid-sixties and the shooter had his face ripped up pretty bad by shrapnel. The only part of the cartridge left tells the story of what happened, WRONG AMMO! The man somehow mixed a .308 into the ammo for the gun. The .308 was able to fit into the chamber of what I think was a .270 Win barrel; the bullet was too large in diameter to pass through the barrel. Lester shows the rifle to youngsters that are new to shooting as an example of why it?s so important to know your rifle and why you must use only the correct ammo for the gun in use. It is impressive to see. I see that rifle in my mind when I go to the range to shoot with friends. I never let anyone pick out there own ammo to shoot in my guns. I may be shooting .30 Carbine, .223 Rem, 8mm, .308, 30.06, .303, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 all at the same time in different guns. I control the ammo and what guns they shoot so that no mistakes are made. I like to keep my friends and family alive! They don?t shoot the variety of guns and ammo that I do. So it?s my responsibility to keep control of the situation and I never assume anyone, (No mater how experienced they are) will know my guns and the proper ammo to use.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm the same way..nobodys reloads go through my guns. But i do reload for myself. All my ammo is loaded specifically for each gun that i have and you couldn't even think of using it in sombody elses gun..some are higher and some are lower than what the reloading books suggest depending on the guns chamber specs..all are chronographed as i work the loads up so as not to exceed maximum pressures..(most people don't even realize that powder varies from lot to lot, so you have to start all over when replenishing you inventory). the only thing i do load that other people could shoot is my target ammo..they are well below all reloading handbooks and pressures. My .223's and 45's are loaded this way so i can use them in all my guns without worry..but even if somebody told me that their shells were reloaded that way, would i use them in my gun..no, no, no...But i still love reloading it is the only way to shoot as much as i do cheaply..i would be broke in a year purchasing all my ammo from a dealer...i go through a lot..so if you ever see me at a range somewhere..you can shoot any of my guns..as long as you use my ammo...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Reloading is something I wanted to get into next. I have reconsidered that idea after seeing that KABOOM! Looks like the only thing that could be re-used is the charging handle and maybe the fore-grips.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you just leave your powder in the original containers you will never have the problem that guy had. And if i were shooting 7.62X39 i wouldn't even think of reloading it..it's to cheap to buy..but for me i save $44 per 1000 for 223's and a little over $110 per thousand for 45's..so its well worth it for me.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cephus..i'm glad i never did that.. i buy my powder in 25LB kegs..haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts