Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I would let you guys know and post a review. I got this product in my machine tool order thinking it would be good for ejectors. I decided to try it today on a test part. I made an extended MT3, dead center for a lathe and wanted to harden the tip, this seems like a great test. the catalog said up to .050 depth , sounds good to me. I followed the instructions for MAX depth, heat to 1600, dip in Kasenit, heat again to 1600, redip in Kasenit, heat a third time to 1600 and give a cold quench. When cool the excess product came off with a rag. I admit I was sceptical that it would work, I decided to test it. I put a hacksaw blade to the hardened area, NOT EVEN A SCRATCH!!! :eek: .. Wow it worked great!! I would give this the highest recomendation.. I am going to try it on an ejector sometime without any fear. :thumbup1:
Anyone else had good results with this product? I can see it would be easy to harden an ejector before the rail was installed. Not a real problem dooing it after it was i the reciever. I could heat the ejector and dip it into a spoon full of Kasenit. I am shure a spoon full would work fine. the instructions even say you can spred out a thin layer of Kasenit and roll a round part in it if it is too big to dip in the can. again it worked great for me try it!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
link to the product please ? hb

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just a thought

their is way more that anyone could ever use in a can if all you have is a few ejectors. with that in mind I would be willing to sell smaller quantitys to anyone that is intrested. I could put a few spoons of it in a zip lock and that would be plenty for a few ejectors.
as allways I am offering to to sell this to members just to help other gunco members. NOT GET RICH. $2 and a stamp so like 2.37 will get you enough to do plenty ejectors. that is better than buying a full can and paying shipping. just offering to help. I will take the time to type and print the instructions as they are on the can for you too.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
victornet.com you can buy a full can their direct if you want , they seem to be a good company.

edit: your post came up before my second post was done. everything up front, buy a full can or save a few bucks and buy enough. either way I recomend the product!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
once again im amazed at the atmosphere on this board , it really is a community
i was a member over there for years and ive got almost 50 percent of the post count i had over there here. I mainly lurked in the for sale trades over there, i havent seen a single incident of flaming over here . I rereading this and it sounds kinda goofy but i didnt post over there alot because of argumentative know itall asshats . here i just fly away with questions or what ever ,

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I use it for the ejector, and the hammer/trigger holes. Also use it for the small selector lever hole (LH side of receiver).

After hardening the ejector you can not try to move it by hitting it because it will crack and break off. So be sure that everything is correct before doing the hardening thing. The only thing you might be able to do it grind the ejector. Kasenit really does harden!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I checked with a buddy who has taught metalurgy related classes and non-destructive testing for years. He currently owns a company which tests the steel in highway bridges.

I asked him which would be preferable for heat treating the receiver holes, Kaseint or heat and quench. He recommended the Kaseint.

packratt

·
Registered
83 Posts
How do you determine the temperature? I've never been too confident with the cherry red, straw, etc colors. Did you use MAPP or Propane or Oxy-Acetylene?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Kail said:
once again im amazed at the atmosphere on this board , it really is a community
That's just how the Hotbarrel is, He split his rivet share with about 10 of us!!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I use O-A, I get the part/hole red (I do this slowly and don't melt the metal), dip or pour Kasenit on the part. Re-heat the part to red (I found this hard to see because of the Kasenit), it's like the Kasenit melts as it hardens the material, then quench in clean water. First time I quenched the part it made a loud bang or popping noise, scared the crap out of me. Just make sure you wear safety goggles.

I usually move the flame in a circle to heat it to the red color. This heats the material evenly.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
bbowling said:
How do you determine the temperature? I've never been too confident with the cherry red, straw, etc colors.
Look for a welding product called "tempilaq" or "tempilstik". I called a local welding supply and got the sticks for $9 each.

These are temperature-sensitive markers that melt at a certain temperature. THe idea is to rub them onto the metal, then when they start to run, quench the part.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Kasenit works great for the axis pin holes also.

I posted a thread with pics when I first used used it
I thought it was here, I searched, but I couldn't find it, it must have been on the other board.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I?ve been using Kasenit for over thirty years on and off, I guess I thought everyone knew about it or I would have posted this myself long ago. It?s damn good for all kinds of work, like making a special tool bit for an odd job. Or like when I needed a set of very small wood carving tools, I used square cement nails and ground them to shape and then used Kasenit before final sharpening, (may work for metal engraving also). An older brother introduced it to me in 1966 or 67 when he was working on an old Mauser for a friend. By the way I?m still only on my 2nd can.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I use Kasenit for the ejector as well. I made the mistake of hardening the ejector before I shortenend it to fit in the bolt of a -47. Needless to say it was a REAL PITA to get it shortened. Almost impossible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hotbarrel said:
their is way more that anyone could ever use in a can if all you have is a few ejectors. with that in mind I would be willing to sell smaller quantitys to anyone that is intrested. I could put a few spoons of it in a zip lock and that would be plenty for a few ejectors.
as allways I am offering to to sell this to members just to help other gunco members. NOT GET RICH. $2 and a stamp so like 2.37 will get you enough to do plenty ejectors. that is better than buying a full can and paying shipping. just offering to help. I will take the time to type and print the instructions as they are on the can for you too.
You serious about that?

If so boy was that exactly what I've been wanting to hear. I've been avoiding buying any Kasenit since I didn't really feel like spending $15-$20 when all I needed to do is a couple ejectors over my lifetime, lol...

My bulgy screw build is sitting around finished other than the ejector feeling neglected since the A569 rails Coldsteel uses aren't heat treatable the standard way...

Do you have a paypal account, sure would be easy to send over some cash that way?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AKFan
sorry no pay pal, but yes I do think it is a good idea, and yes I will mail you some if you send me $2.37. PM me if you want my address and I will need yours

1 - 17 of 17 Posts