Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the new King Arthur Movie...and it reminded me that honor lives in each and everyone of us. Not just the honor of our famlies, our homes our property, but the honor of humanity and ideals. Chivalry is not dead, honor is not dead, noble ideals are not dead, for in us they live. AClay, and many others here prove that each and everyday. For a community of people scattered over thousands of miles to come together and share ideas, thoughts, hopes and dreams is amazing. Honestley from time to time I lose faith in humanity...fearing that all that we have good in our souls has been lost. Alas and greatly so this is not true...each and every one of you prove that. You people are why I am here. Thrice before I have faced death and thrice I have beaten it...we are all here to make a difference and to impact the world we live in. The things we do are not necessarily to change the world, but at the very least to show the world that it can not and will not change us! It fills my heart with Joy to know that there are good people like Cephus, and Jeff, and StingRay, and Dorgunr and so many more still here. Good people are our beacon in the night lighting our way home.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
A journey of a 1000 miles starts by taking one step. Changing the world is the same way. You make it better by changing it one person at a time, starting with yourself. Thanks Magnus, very touching.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
magnus392 said:
I just watched the new King Arthur Movie...and it reminded me that honor lives in each and everyone of us. Not just the honor of our famlies, our homes our property, but the honor of humanity and ideals. Chivalry is not dead, honor is not dead, noble ideals are not dead, for in us they live.
don't get all carried away with the medieval farce of "chivalry".......truth is that only applied to the ruling class of folks to each other......sometimes........ but they hardly followed the rules even among themselves........we get the notion that the "age of chivalry" was something that was to be admired etc... not true, we get those kinda of fantasy from mid 18th and 19th century "historians" and romantic ideals of the time, that those were somehow the good old days........which in reality wasn't even the case. for everybody else that wasn't in the "special circle" they were shit on and abused......humanity for those ruling class mean you might die a quicker death, then be locked away to slowly die in some hell hole.....I'm talking about folks like you and me..believe me if you would have been living in those times, you would have been in the category of abused and shit on, and treated like some animal of burden then a human being..... all that nonsense of honor etc... didn't apply to people like you and me, if we lived in that time period. so don't think for one minute that the ruling class was somehow a "becon" the truth is they cared about nothing but themselves and their kind, they wouldn't have turned their head if you were murdered right in front of them.....they might even call it "entertainment" to fill a void in their day......why folks who see any hollyweird movie thinks that's the way it was, is beyond me.......it's nothing but make believe. there is a excellent book about medieval life that was printed many years ago, that dispelled the romantic notion of what writers and hollyweidos made it to mean.......a real eye opener on how this fairy tale of "king arthur" time was really like...........it isn't anything you would have wanted to live in. I can?t remember the title of the book?.but is is one of the few books I have read about the medieval ages that didn?t sugar coat what it was actually like living in those times. So don?t mistake fantasy for non-fiction.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
I got the movie for christmas. Thanks for the info Magnus, I like your observations about the movie better than the dour portrayal by Sherman.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Chromebolt said:
I got the movie for christmas. Thanks for the info Magnus, I like your observations about the movie better than the dour portrayal by Sherman.
I bet you believe santa claus is real as well.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Today though, if you try to be chivalrous to some gals, they'll wack you in the nuts, because they is liberated! So I never try to help or be chivvy to young gals, only older ones. They appreciate it. The younguns think everybody being nice to them wants a slice of their old thang, so look out! :):nono2:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Johnson said:
Today though, if you try to be chivalrous to some gals, they'll wack you in the nuts, because they is liberated! So I never try to help or be chivvy to young gals, only older ones. They appreciate it. The younguns think everybody being nice to them wants a slice of their old thang, so look out! :):nono2:
I will happily disagree with ya Johnson--it's nice when guys open the doors and all that jazz, but these days it's hard to find guys my age that are like that. I had a boyfriend whose idea of opening the car door, was using the keyless remote to unlock the door......lol Our generation is somewhat lacking in the manners department and so it's not the gals fault if they seem to think you only want one thing--it's what we know......but I'll accept chivalry anyday--:)

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Guys are about the same but I am convinced more and more young women have become coarse. More coarse than they need to be to achieve their goals of equality.

I think if you had a time machine you could drop just about any current guy into any era of the past 50 years, maybe longer, and other than dress, slang or technology, his attitude and behavior would quickly fit right in.

Drop a young woman of today into the same time period and she would be like an alien from another planet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts