Gunco Forums banner

Krinkenstein build

9K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  GoMopar440 
#1 ·
For those of you that didn't catch the origins of this build idea in the other threads, here's the current configuration.

Not much new for details here yet other than what was already mentioned in the other threads. I'm still hunting some (a lot) of parts to complete this build. I do have a few parts on hand already so I decided to start fabricating some of the custom pieces from them.

I measured the RSB and front trunnion and marked where I wanted to remove metal. First I hacked the bottom of the RSB off and levelled the bottom edge on the belt sander. I also removed and levelled the top where the ears for the rear sight leaf were. Next I cut out the middle and belt sanded the front and rear pieces until they were the correct legnth. I made it so the top cover wouldn't have to be modified to fit when the forward edge is lined up with the front of the trunnion.

Next the two pieces will be welded together and then the top and sides ground/filed back down till they are flush. Once that's done, I'll clamp it to the top of the trunnion and see where I need to make a notch for the bottom of the gas tube.

I already cut the Yugo RPK barrel in half and rough cut some of the cooling fins off where it will be rethreaded. I don't have a bore dial indicator at home so I'll have to make the final cuts at school. I still also need to cut off the chamber end of the barrel about halfway through the RSB area to get the overall legnth I want. Then I can rechamber and reprofile the barrel.

I also got a Krink cone muzzle brake and cut it down to the approximate size I wanted. I can't do much more with it until I get the barrel finished though.

This is going to be a (very) long term project. The biggest factor will be the time needed to find and make the custom parts.

More to come later... ;)

See less See more
#4 ·
ahhh finally the krinkenstein build has started!! :rockin:

hey you could use that bolt you didn't end up needed for your stepsons build, that is if it fints in your yugo carrier. can't wait to see your modded wood when you do it

#8 ·
I got someone to TIG the two little pieces together for me at school today. I brought it home and ground and sanded the welds down until they were flush with the top and sides. I also blended the bevel on the top side and removed any rough edges from the piece. Next I rotated the lever across the side of the part to make a mark where I wanted the stop detent. I milled the detent for the gas tube lock lever with a small ball end mill and then sand blasted the part.

Here's how it looks right now:

I'll post more later as I get more done.

#12 ·
I think you are going to have way too much fun with this project.
That finned shorty is barrel is insane!
I rate your originality a 9.3 on the sick-monkey scale.

#17 ·
I got the whatchamacallit part TIG'd to the top of the trunnion at school today. Next I'll clean up the weld and blast the part. I still have to mill the gas tube retainer slot into the trunnion before I can call the piece done.

I swiped this front trunnion from the M70 UF kit. I just couldn't bring myself to use a standard Romy style trunnion on this build.

#19 ·
I'm going to use the Tapco Yugo flat I got from you and just weld the UF holes shut. I'll probably get some AK Builder lower rails though.

I'll be sure to bring the scope rail rivet crusher with me to the BP.

Back on topic...
I smoothed over the welds and then blasted the whole thing. I kept the blast media away from the locking lugs, feed ramp and barrel bore as much as possible since the AlOx is so aggressive.

Getting closer... :D

#22 ·
Got a lot done at the COBP II today.

Initial fitting of the receiver parts:

First I pinned the front trunnion in place temporarrily with a rivet to find the best placement for the rear trunnion to fit the top cover. The rear UF trunnion was first trimmed down to remove some unneeded weight. I also had to trim the top bends on the Tapco flat to allow the sides of the receiver to sit flush against the trunnion. I then notched the top cover to clear the front trunnion and the receiver bulges. Once everything was fitted properly, I clamped the rear trunnion in place and Scooch welded it in place through the rivet holes for me. I ground the welds down flush with the sides of the rcvr with a grinding wheel to get them close and then finished it with a belt sander.

Since this is a pistol and isn't using the UF rcvr holes, I ground a few washers to fit the large UF pivot holes and tapped then into place. Scooch did the welding honors again and plugged the rest of the unused rcvr holes.

I noticed that the bolt carrier didn't want to move more than about an inch forward when installed in the rcvr. After looking it over, it seems the little top cover notch/ GB retainer I had welded to the top of the trunnion was sitting a little to low and was binding the BC. To fix it, I used a dremel to thin out the top inside edge of the top cover retainer. I also used the belt sander to thin down the top edge of the bolt carrier. Between both of the fixes I was able to get about 1/16" clearance between the two parts without having to mess with the rail groove in the BC or the rcvr top rails.

Next thing was to fix the top cover fit. I had to trim the bottom edges since the top cover sits at a little bit of a rake. A little time on the grinder and everything was lined up. The top cover kinda has a raked hot rod look to it now. Cool side effect of the custom fron trunnion screw up I guess.

Checking safety lever clearance to top cover:

Since the top cover has that forward rake to it now, I had to adjust the angle that the safety lever stops against. A few seconds on the grinder and it fit perfect.

Getting there...

#25 ·
You told me to wait on calling you a great builder after your m72 since it was your first build but with seeing the build progress (especially in person) I think we can easily say you're one heck of a builder haha. Once you finish your sustained fire heavy barreled pistol I have to go with you to see the fireballs lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.