Gunco Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to start school again here soon and am thinking about purchasing a new computer.

I'm not sure which is better for school work purposes because school comps are alway's being used and my mom uses hers a lot for work. I could use her printer as needed not just the rest of the computer.

I'm going back to school for nursing. any ideas which is better laptop or desktop.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
1st off I am not a knowledgable computer person. And with that said, I bought my daughter a laptop for school and I think they are great. And now the price and performance gap isn't as big as it was in the past. They can get hot and so you have to careful not to over heat them and when you use it on batteries your time is limited, but if you want to be abe to do your homework where ever you are then they are great. I think my next computer will be a laptop. I'm anxious to see what the computer guys here say.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I'm on a wireless laptop right this second, I LOVE it. I also have a few desktops. They work great also, I'd never survive without them. Did I mention I love my laptop? I do. I also love the one I'm using as a TV ;) I love 'em all....it's a sickness. :D

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
99% of the time I'm on my laptop with wireless. I have a desktop my wife uses more and all of out stuff like printer and camera are hooked up to it.

My wife has a 5 year old laptop I got for her to do e-mail on and surf. I end up carrying mine all over the house (See thread about me being in the bathroom) and if I didn't have it I would be lost.

The hard drive speed might be slower and they aren't good for gaming, but as work machines rock. If you want a high laptop for everything then get an Alienware, but they are pricey.

I carry my laptop from home to work everyday and you get used to it. I suggest a backpack carrying case. My company issues about 50,000 of them to their workers and it increases productivity greatly.

I've posted from every place in my house. Bed, couch, garage, porch, kitchen, and bathroom.

Once you have one you're hooked.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I'm on a Panasonic Toughbook. It's all that and a bag of doughnuts :lol: It's about an inch and a half thick closed. weighs about 3 lbs, comes with built in Wi-Fi and CDRW/DVD player. It's got a 4-6 hour battery on it too....did I mention I love it? I tote it around in a small aluminium briefcase that's not hard to carry at all

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I know what you are saying Ziggy, but Alienware laptops are designed for games and even used in the military for certian highend stuff. I got that straight from and Airforce IT guy :wink:

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My main concern is for the clinicals I will eventually be doing in nursing school. I know form other students I have talked to they take up a lot of time, doing that and working full time may limit my acess to a computer.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Its like American Express. I dont leave home without the laptop!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There is several drawbacks to laptops I haven't seen here: cost of repairs, and upgradability
. Like all mechanical/electronic objects, it can die on you. Portable systems tend to have all the video, audio, ect integrated onto the mainboard. If anything goes out, they can be very expensive to repair, or, if it's old enough, impossible to find parts for.
Looking down the road, it's much cheaper/easier to upgrade or repair desktops than laptops. Upgrading a desktop can be a couple hundred bucks OTD (Less if ya do it yourself) Upgrading a laptop can be.....uh....expensive to upgrade, or even impossible in some cases.
SO here's a vote for desktop, a USB device and a good PDA running Windows CE for note taking with a roll up or folding keyboard. Cost will probably be less than a laptop if you shop right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts