Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of a folder (Arabic writing?) that I bought as a "poor kit". I put it together today using a flat that I bent on my jig. This is the first AK that I built using a home bent tapco flat. I will check headspace tomorrow and then pin the barrel. The mag fits a little too tight for my liking. I may just leave it as a beater (the battlefield pick up look).

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turned out better than I thought it would. I am glad that the folding mechanism covers up the holes! They weren't perfect but they worked!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the headspace on the folder this morning and it was perfect. I guess I got lucky. I pinned the barrel and then cleaned it up. I sprayed the receiver with Alumninhyde II and hung it up to dry. I will post more pics when it is finished.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not quite sure of the county of origin. All markings are in Arabic. I believe that the kit was $99.00.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Nice work. One good thing about a "poor" kit is you do not have to worry about it. hunt in the rain and not get upset. fire and not clean rite away, no problem. I like no worry.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fargo said:
Is that all the parts that came with the kit shown? Even the krink FH?
No,
The Krink is a US made one from DPHARMS. The folder that came with the gun was an odd ball that used a different trunion, so I used a folder from a Polish kit that I had.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
painted up!

I painted the receiver with Alumna Guard II and put on the correct muzzlebrake. Still not a beauty, but not a bad "beater".

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've been dying for a kit in arabic, you come along with a poor kit that looks fantastic...

where did you get it?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Great job for just "banging it out"! Love to find out who's selling these "Poor kits" for 99.00. Can you give us a clue?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DrKungPao said:
I've been dying for a kit in arabic, you come along with a poor kit that looks fantastic...

where did you get it?
Scott at Ohio Rapid Fire was selling them, but may be sold out. I missed out on the "fair" kits. They sold out first. Scott at ORF may have some of the "good luck" kits left. I have one and it really isn't that bad. Mismatched with about 80% finish. Decent bore. Dirty but decent wood. I believe that he was selling them for $69.00.

·
Registered
517 Posts
magnus392 said:
Hey Doc!!! Nice to have you here!
:thankyou:

I think i might have found a new home... :thumbup1:

Regarding the kits.. I bet i missed the boat.. Im almost sure of it, just because of murphys law and how bad ive been wanting an arabic kit.. :bawling: I will call just to make sure the nail is driven into the coffin of my desire once again tho...

What a great surprise for you tho gtbehary.. 100 bucks for an underfolder kit with functional parts... that alone is a score...

·
Registered
517 Posts
oh, gtbehary... if you get a chance would you mind taking a close up pic of the arabic writting on the gun? I would love to see what/where it is.

:)

·
Registered
517 Posts
just got off the phone.. and of course no dice. Why is it that these have to come to folk who dont advertise.. I was on ORF's site about a million times over the last few months.. never knew a thing about them. alas.. its such the sad thing for me..

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
They were originally listed at ar15.com and there was mention of them not being put on ORF's site.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DrKungPao said:
oh, gtbehary... if you get a chance would you mind taking a close up pic of the arabic writting on the gun? I would love to see what/where it is.

:)

If I can get my camera to get a clear "close-up" I will. I have a problem using the macro, maybe I can just zoom in on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts