Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out as an amd-63 kit, I traded off the gas tube, sheetmetal handguard and 2nd p-grip. Picked up a standard gas tube, Hungarian blonde handgaurds, and topped it off with a slant brake from global trades. The bayo lug and the Slant brake also have small tack welds on them that can "and will" be ground off in september when the ban expires.

Also installed a us made gas piston that I got from tapco, just waiting on the new trigger group to get here.

I still need to refinish the metal, its hard to tell in the pic but I had to strip off some of the finish in order for my spotwelder to work on the lower guide rails.

I guess I would call this a homemade SA-85m clone, its obviosly not an AMD anymore :smile: :smile:

only have $175-200 into the entire build.

Take care,

Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I like your creativity.... looks nice

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, I love the look of the standard Hungarian akm rifles, so decided to try to copy that.

7.62x39,

The receiver was made from one of the new style ace blanks. .040 4130 sheet. I am soo glad he is making them out of the correct metal now. most of the work on the receiver was done using a dremel and a drill press, it came out perfect. Lower rails are spot welded on, center support installed and it is fully heat treated & tempered. My brother works in a metal fab shop so he was able to throw it in the furnace at his work, properly quinch it and reheat it to 700-900 degrees so it could air cool on its own and not be brittle. This thing is hard, and has very little flex at all. Should last me a long time.

now to decide what to buld next.

Mike Freeman.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Much better pictures of AK 74Freak's rifle on

oh damn! I knew I should have written it down! Anyway, I just looked at it a second ago! Great photos! It was on the thead about converting standard fore end and gas tube wood to fit the AMD 65!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice job. Looks fantastic.

We have a furnace at work. I would like to know more details about how yo heat treated the receiver. I am guessing that you did it before the trunions were installed. I thought about treating my last build in the oven but was worried that when I quenched it in water, it would curl up like Pringle. So I just spot treated the important places.

Edited to subscribe to this thread.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What the heck?

I thought that I posted a picture of AK75Freak's two rifles. Let me see if I can find it once again.

No can do. A dialog box pops up and says that "Mike's rifles" is an invalid file type! I guess that I am not as computer savy as I thought!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts