Gunco Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been six incidents of lazer beams being directed towards the pilots of commercial aircraft in the United States. The FAA has issued a warning that terrorists may be considering the use of lazer beams as a means of distracting or blinding pilots. Because weapons sights using lazers are particularly well-suited for this use by terrorists, under authority granted by the PATRIOT Act, the Department of Homeland Security is obtaining sales records from distributors of weapons sights using lazers and is maintaining a data base of persons who have purchased such sights. It is anticipated that it will take some time, however, to investigate each of the persons who have purchased these potential terrorist weapons.

[The first two sentences are fact; just heard it on the radio. The rest is - hopefully - but a paranoid fantasy.]

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I've been hearing this all day on FoxNews as well. I guess the reason they think these are terrorists is because the lasers being used are green. Evidentally red ones are sold to the public, but green ones aren't. I'll see if I can find a link.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Preacher said:
... Evidentally red ones are sold to the public, but green ones aren't. I'll see if I can find a link.
That's odd. I'd think that if you wanted to use lazers for this nepharious purpose, the best source really would be readily-available weapons sights, next best being readily-available lazers designed for surveying purposes.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
That's odd. I'd think that if you wanted to use lazers for this nepharious purpose, the best source really would be readily-available weapons sights, next best being readily-available lazers designed for surveying purposes.
I just heard bits and peices on the news, so take it with a grain of salt.

Maybe this will have more:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-bc-nj--laserbeam-airplan1230dec30,0,414113.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

Authorities investigate report of laser beams aimed at plane

By DAVID PORTER
Associated Press Writer

December 30, 2004, 4:49 PM EST

TRENTON, N.J. -- The FBI is investigating an incident in which lasers were apparently aimed at a pilot preparing to land at Teterboro Airport.

The pilot, who has not been identified, reported that three green lasers were pointed into his cockpit Wednesday night. They were believed to have originated in the vicinity of Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, said Bill Maer, a spokesman for the Passaic County Sheriff's Office.

The pilot saw the lasers on his approach to Teterboro, according to Maer.

The plane, a corporate-owned Cessna Citation with 13 people aboard, was about 11 miles from the airport when the incident occurred, authorities said. It landed safely and no injuries were reported.

The FBI and the Federal Aviation Administration were investigating the incident Thursday, according to spokesmen with both organizations. New Jersey State Police, the county sheriff's office and the Wayne police department were also involved in the investigation.

Several recent incidents involving laser beams aimed at aircraft have raised concerns about possible terrorist activity. A federal law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity told The Associated Press that the FBI is investigating six incidents that have occurred in the last four days around the country.

On Monday, one incident involving a commercial jet occurred about 15 miles from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, and two pilots reported seeing laser beams near Colorado Springs. All three planes landed safely. The law enforcement official did not provide details about the other three incidents.

No arrests have been reported. Interfering with a commercial flight is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Laser beams can distract or temporarily blind a pilot. They can only enter a plane through glass, according to Dr. Linda Connell, director of the Aviation Safety Reporting System at NASA's Ames Research Center in California, which analyzes reports from pilots, flight attendants and other airplane personnel. Some pilots have reported the beams have richoceted around a plane's cockpit, and at least one has reported suffering an eye injury, Connell said.

The FBI and Homeland Security Department have sent a memo to law enforcement agencies stating that there is evidence that terrorists have explored using lasers as weapons, though there has been no specific intelligence indicating terrorist group plan to use lasers in the United States.

"That is the real dilemma," Connell said. "Is this kids with pranks, or something that is more of a challenge to the system?"

Lasers are featured in outdoor light shows and are used by construction companies to line up foundations. The FAA mandates that laser light shows must register their locations and the lights cannot be directed above 3,000 feet.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betcha a quarter it's nothing more serious than mischievous teenagers. We need a War on Mischief!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
They said something on Fox about green lasers being exclusive somehow. I didn't catch enough to be sure though. Maybe someone else heard it.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Fox news reported that the lazers that are being used are not weapon sight lasers but ones that are designed as anti personel weapons that blind their victims. They fill the whole cockpit and can cover both the pilot and co-pilot , not just a small dot. Green lasers are available from Surefire but are very pricey.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Thanks Grendeljaeger, I knew there was something special about the green ones.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
One of the planes that was hit was flying at 10,000 feet. That sorta takes out of kids range.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I have a friend who is an amateur astronomer.

He recently bought a laser to sight in stars. Got it from some internet site that specializes in astronomy gear.

I think he paid around a hundred bucks for it and he says he can easily beam a plane at high altitude. I don't recall how high he says it will go.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Custer said:
I have a friend who is an amateur astronomer.

He recently bought a laser to sight in stars. Got it from some internet site that specializes in astronomy gear.

I think he paid around a hundred bucks for it and he says he can easily beam a plane at high altitude. I don't recall how high he says it will go.
Was it green or red? or some other color?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I always thought the government would find a way to take Laser sights away from gun owners. This will do it. Now days all they have to do is say something can be used by terrorists and it?ll be made illegal. Read the part about how they are going to keep track of Laser sight sales, even though the Lasers being used are green not red like a Laser sight. Why don?t the airlines start handing out those green lens glasses like the ones used in labs and make pilots wear them? An once of prevention is better than three hundred dead in a farmers field after a crash.
I?ve got a question, What color Laser is used by the government to aim missiles into a target? I mean we see Laser guided bombs and missiles on TV all the time, but what color are the Lasers?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Good point Oldgunner, I never thought of that! The snowball iis getting bigger.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Aiming lasers are in the infrared spectrum and are invisible with the naked eye. visible spectrum lasers would alert the target and give away ground spotters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts