Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I came accross this forum and had to register. I have been thinking about
building a AKM for some time now but I have been concerned about the legal
issues involved. I thought the kits that are imported were for repair or replacement parts of an existing firearm. I am aware of the required number of
US parts to be legal. What else do I need to know?

Thanks CJ5

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
It means the kits are not allowed to be used by commercial builders to make rifles. For the home builder it's fine to use the parts for a rifle.

Make sure your local laws are okay for owning AW's first though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Now I will have to do some more research on riveting
the receiver. I don't know if the air hammer, bucking bar is the way to go.
I do have an air compresser,air hammer and press.

·
Registered
41 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
It means the kits are not allowed to be used by commercial builders to make rifles. For the home builder it's fine to use the parts for a rifle.
And even that's debatable. I have search high and low in the CFR and cannot find a law that says kits cannot be built by commercial builders. I think it's either one of the JBTs' attempts at blackmail, or a concession to that ridiculous treaty that Clintoon signed regarding international small arms trade.

·
Registered
625 Posts
undefined
SangRun Hunter said:

Make sure your local laws are okay for owning AW's first though.

If it?s legal to build a rifle from a kit, can you use the original barrel that comes with the parts kit. And if the stock counts in the parts count what if I make my own wood stock and grips, basically I have a AMD-63 and have no problem making all new wood for it, but is it legal and count as US made? This is all new to me. And what is an "AW"

·
Registered
158 Posts
The issue is that under the current interpertation of the 'rules', as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (which is the guide for how Federal laws are implemented) , importing parts kits with barrels is NOT allowed, unless the barrel is to be used for a replacement on an already existing firearm.

In order to comply with these regulations, importers MUST indicate on the Form 6 (firearm / parts import form) , that the part kits with barrels are being imported to be used as replacement parts for already existing firearms.

If the importer is importing the parts kits to be used to manufacture new firearms then they CANNOT import them , and if they do import them with the purpose of building new firearms they face criminal prosecution for falsifying the Form 6.

As long as the importer sells the parts kits (with the barrels) as REPLACEMENT PARTS ONLY, what they are doing is 100% legal.

Now if you purchase a parts kit and use the kit to build a firearm YOU have done nothing illegal.

When they place 'FOR REPLACEMENT PARTS ONLY' in their ads they are just making it precisely clear the purpose for which they imported the kits (with barrels).

It would also be LEGAL for an importer to bring in parts kits without the barrel,to use the parts to build new firearms with.

So it is legal to build your rifle from the kit, keeping in mind that you still have to comply with the AWB - until Sept 14th - as well as the Nov '90 import ban that requires five or six US made parts in an AKM type rifle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Stock question

OK, so I can use the original barrel to build but the other question is what if I make my own wood stock and both the grips for my AMD-63. I can make it all including the bolts but is that legal and will it count as US parts? I?m thinking of using a laminated stock blank and starting from scratch, should look cool with the light and dark gray laminations in the wood.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
No, nuts and bolts don't count... check the "parts count" information both here and elsewhere for the official parts list and numbers. You'll find you'll probably want to locate 6 US parts, just my guess...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Both of you guys are right, if the part is made in the USA (no matter by whom) it is a US part.

Now concerning the import ban the only parts they are concerned with are:

1. receivers
2. trunions
3. barrels
4. hammers
5. disconnectors
6. triggers
7. stocks
8. pistol grips
9. forends
10. bolts (breechblocks)
11. bolt carriers