Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are no modern pistols chambered in 7.62 X 25 Tok? Its a kick ass round. I would think someone would make one, but none that I know of.

Part two.....Ok if one can rechamber a CZ-52 to 9mm parabellum, how hard would it be to get a custom barrel chambered in 7.62 Tok for a modern 9mm semi-auto? Know anyone that could do the work? I think it would be nice to have something that you could have about a 15 round mag for. Or hell maybe a glock 9mm with the 30 round magazine. Any thoughts?
:thankyou:

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't know the answer to question #1, I wish they would make a modern pistol chamber in 7.62x25. The reason that you can't switch from 9mm to 7.62x25 is because the mags will be to short. The 7.62x25 is about 1/4" longer than the 9mm......

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, lol 25 vs 19. I really thought that through.

·
Troubles shot. 5 cents.
850 Posts
Vis hit it with the lack of a "reverse conversion" of current 9mms. The mags and mag wells are just way too short for the longer 7.62 Tok cartridge.

Something to consider might be a revolver like the S&W M16 in .32 H&R Magnum, with a sleeved barrel and a cylinder conversion to 7.62 Tok, with the rear of the cylinder faced off to handle moon clips.

Noah

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll go searching, but what is a moon clip? Huh, revolver.....never even considered it. Have to think about that one.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well, they made a ruger blackhawk in .30 carbine, didn't they?
Lest anybody suggest it.......the Nagant revolver in 7.62 nagant...AIN'T a good idea. They tend to disintigrate when re-chambered to 7.62 tok.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
.30/7.62mm handgun rounds generally have a lousy reputation, most folks just aren't interested in anything smaller than .357/9mm diameter with the sole exception of .22 LR. May or may not be a deserved reputation, but just having a lousy reputation would warn any manufacturer away from investing in making one.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
because it's a obsolete round.......pure and simple.....why build a handgun for a round that is no longer used BY ANYBODY?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
W.T. Sherman said:
because it's a obsolete round.......pure and simple.....why build a handgun for a round that is no longer used BY ANYBODY?
But that IS part of my question, why isn't it being used? Its only obsolete because it isn't being used. Its deadly as hell.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Polish Taipan said:
...Its deadly as hell.
Not that I want to get shot by that round, but... .30/7.62 handgun rounds carry a reputation for not being especially deadly. Why do you say this one is?

I should think that the niche that a .30/7.62 handgun round may fill would be for a target/plinking round if it were very accurate. The flatter trajectory of a relatively small-caliber centerfire cartridge would make at least for a great plinking round if you could hit what you were shooting at - and the flatter trajectory would make compensation for varying ranges less critical.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know about .30/7.62 handgun rounds in general, and it is a bit small compared with most common rounds used in America now. However that 7.62 loaded up to fly at 1700fps carries a lot of energy behind it. For example my 90gr HTP/HP's: 1700fps = 577 ft-lbs which is roughly equivelent to a 45 cal 185gr hp/xtp moving at close to 1200 fps. With the advatages of flatter trajectory for better long range shots and the 90gr hp still packing 306 ft/lbs at 100 yards. I'd say it deadly. Best round for home defense in an apartment? Probably not, unless you're faced with a home invasion with thugs wearing body armor and you just happen to have a mag loaded with some FMJ's. :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Actually, I consider a pump shotgun loaded with birdshot to be the ideal home-defense weapon for apartment dwellers, but that's another discussion...

I'm not familiar with that round at all. Is it notably accurate?

[FYI my understanding is that the Germans went from the 7.62 to the 9mm in the Luger pistol when they were disappointed with the lethality of the 7.62.]

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carlos the Jackal choose the 7.62 Tokarev to be his personal pistol round of choice and is know to have killed two Freach agents and a Lebanese turned informer with it.

It can be one of the most accurate rounds available.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
[FYI my understanding is that the Germans went from the 7.62 to the 9mm in the Luger pistol when they were disappointed with the lethality of the 7.62.]
I think George Luger necked up .30 Luger ( 7.65x 22 )

7.62x25( left) and 9mm Luger.
Checking out the new photo hosting :biggrin: :thumbup1:

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comparison pic Vis.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Ballistics are nice but not THAT nice. Thinking like a COR-BON round. IMO the round is more costly to produce (owing to the bottlenecked brass) and with the comparative performance envelope to be found in so many other calibers, I think it would be natural to be phased out.

That said, I read the Carlos reference on Makarov.com or somewhere like that in talking about the CZ-52 pistol. Don't think one assassin's choice would be a deciding factor... a gun is a gun. How many saturday night specials have killed people? Does that make a .22, .32 ACP or 9mm GAT any better? See my point?

It IS a hot little round, I'll give ya that! Dunno for certain, but I think it was designed from the start as an SMG round. The Bizon SMG is reportedly able to be chambered in that caliber and that's on my to-do build list... I got 10 PPSH mags from the Weaponeer GB for 1/2 price. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
7.62 tokarev has a poor reputation as a stopper.
(dont start, of COURSE a CNS or heart shot works)

7.62 tokarev doesn't slow down much on it's way through IIA kevlar.
Hong Kong Police had to use specially beefed up vests because of them.

So you end up with a cartridge most people don't want and the Government REALLY doesn't want you to have.

Unlikely to be a profitable endeavor.

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
All you have to do to make the .30 Mauser rd look sick is load a lighter bullet in modern rds. RBCD has a new 357 Sig rd that is 50 grs at 2700 fps or so they claim. Do a yahoo search for their website. MagSafe has had a 64 gr, 2100 fps load (4" barrel) for the 357 Sig for years. RBCD has an 80 gr, 2300 fps load for the .45 ACP. Do a search for Clark Custom Guns, and read up on the .460 Rowland. It is a thicker, longer cased version of the .45 ACP. It gets a 230 gr bullet to 1350 fps. Now just how fast do you think it could drive that 80 gr bullet, hmm? About twice as fast as your silly Mauser load, that's how fast.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Think of it THIS way...

762x25 is the poor mans 5.7x28.... Not QUITE as fast, but if you necked it down to 5.56x25 it would rival the 5.7x28... True the gun only holds 8rds, but for 1/10 the cost and cheaper ammo...

When I go to NV/AZ and can carry open legally my gun of choice is a Cond. 1 (cocked n locked) CZ52 loaded w/1 in the pipe along with a spare 8 rd mag...I favor the 762x25 because if someone like a gang member assaults me and has a II or IIA vest the 762x25 is gonna run right through it... it will get stopped by a III I think...

L8R

P.S. Put a 2" longer BBL on your CZ52 and you'd have a SUPER fast round... My 52 does something like 1588fps w/chinese ammo... thats like 357mag speed... I call it a HAND RIFLE :) Someone needs to try 22cal sabots (x-celerators)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts