Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a receiver and now my focus is on picking parts.

I see Model1 has good deals, but I'm seeing bad posts about them on AR15.com. Quality and service issues.

I want to go flattop and I think I will do a varmit rifle for my first one. Either that or an M4 style.

Good names of parts places?

Good brands?

Mags? Which ones?

Chrome lined upper of no?

Stainless barrel for varmit, I see most are stainless.

Float tube or no?

It's a blank canvas at this point, help me out. What do you like?

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Sang,

I've built three AR's using model 1 kits, two for myself and one for a buddy.

With the minor exception of one kit missing the PG screw (which they quickly replaced N/C) all three went together perfectly and function flawlessly.

I am planning on building a M4 soon and it will be a model 1 also.

If you decide on a varminter, get the free float tube, if you go with a M4, use the M4 style guard. FF tube would not look right on a M4.

Also if you go varminter, get a picatinny rail gas block.
If you use a FSB style gas block with a flat top, you will need taller rings, which will effect your cheek weld.

Here's a pic of my Model 1/Olympic Varminter

Attachments

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Do one of you have a link to Model1? I want to build an upper with a 16" barrel and a one in nine" twist so I can use both the M-193 and new M-855 or SS-109. This would be for my wife's old CAR-15. I would also like to make my own lower from a casting so I'm interested in this too.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
Do one of you have a link to Model1? I want to build an upper with a 16" barrel and a one in nine" twist so I can use both the M-193 and new M-855 or SS-109. This would be for my wife's old CAR-15. I would also like to make my own lower from a casting so I'm interested in this too.

Here is the link http://www.model1sales.com/

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
7.62x39 said:
cncgunsmithing is a site sponsor. hint-hint
I know.....thats why they are on my favorites list up top for AR's.

·
Registered
369 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Got a receiver and now my focus is on picking parts.

I see Model1 has good deals, but I'm seeing bad posts about them on AR15.com. Quality and service issues.

I want to go flattop and I think I will do a varmit rifle for my first one. Either that or an M4 style.

Good names of parts places?

Good brands?

Mags? Which ones?

Chrome lined upper of no?

Stainless barrel for varmit, I see most are stainless.

Float tube or no?

It's a blank canvas at this point, help me out. What do you like?
I have a bunch of new AR15 stuff. I have 10 USGI mags with green followers, a M7 Bayonet, new cleaning stuff/the special pipe cleaners for the gas tube, and other small stuff. I would trade it all to you cheep? I need a Romanian Drum. Want to trade for some of this stuff.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
If it were "ME" this is what I would do - build from an 80% casting, then match it with an M4evolution upper from Kurts' Kustom Firearms.

http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm

LInk directly to the gas system here:
http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/967766.htm

Why this one? Because it uses a modified gas system that loosely mimics the AR-18/AR-180/HK G-36 design.

In fact, the AR-15 design improvement contract that has been given to HK basically retrofits the uppers to use a gas piston that it similar to the HK M4 is planned to be the "new" M4. Interestingly enough, the M4evolution is very close in design to the HK retrofit. Not quite an AK but close! ;)

May want to check here for cast 80%:

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=1003&storeid=1&image=arforgings.gif

AR15 Lower Receiver 7075-T6 Alloy Forging, military spec
Order 2 or more, $4.95 discount each $24.95

A2 Upper Receiver 7075-T6 Alloy Forging, military spec
Order 2 or more, $4.95 discount each

AR15/M16 Flattop Upper Receiver 7075-T6 Alloy Forging, military spec
Order 2 or more, $4.95 discount each

Heck maybe we can get a GB on them - that would put the castings at $20 each - $40 for a receiver set, not bad. Then build it up part-by-part.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Sang, I have had good luck with Model1 sales on two AR-15 builds. They headspace and test fire their kits so its all plug and play. My last build took 45 minutes. (this was back in 1999)

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
Sang;

I've bough many parts from Armalite and Fulton Armory. All have been fully functional without any problems. I used to get some things from Bushmaster but the other companies seemed to have better prices.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Whats the going rate for an AR 80% lower? Any links would be great help.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I to Am interested in this topic just got my first and would like to build one...The one I have is a Colt upper on a generic lower . Iam looking to build a 16 inch barrel one or just get another upper that I can change out for differnat applications.......

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I think your referring to dsarms link above that you had posted. I will check them out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts