Gunco Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the film on HBO. I'm a Peter Sellers fan.

The film is a biography of Peter Sellers during his rise from radio work to film stardom. Though his death is included in the title, the film does not cover it, at least not literally.

On one level, the movie is an entertaining biography. Sellers tells one interviewer that he has no personality of his own, and if not for the roles he played, he would have no personality at all. My favorite scene demonstrated that. While traveling aboard an airliner to Rome, where the first Pink Panther film is being shot, he reads the movie script. A fellow passenger asks him, "Are you Peter Sellers," to which he replies, "Not today." Sellers disappears to the bathroom and emerges in character as Inspector Jacques Clousseau. When the stewardess asks him to take his seat, the Inspector so frustrates her with his accent and attitude that she sneers "French twit" after he takes his seat. No Pink Panther fan should miss the scene, the birth of Inspector Clousseau.

The movie works on another level. Sellers is a man who can be anyone, but himself. The man who played multiple roles in Dr. Strangelove and The Mouse That Roared was unable to be Peter Sellers. He was one of those persons who got lost in success. The man who could be anyone literally died of a broken heart, lonely. In his wallet was one photograph - that of his first wife (he married 4 times). If we measure his life by film credits, he was a success, but somehow that success not only failed to fulfill him, but divorced him from what made him happy.

Geoffrey Rush did a fantastic job playing Peter Sellers. If you're a Peter Sellers fan, try to watch this one! Click here to read an interview with Geoffrey Rush.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
"Does your daug baht?"
"Vat?"
Does your Daug Baht?"
"EH"
'DOES YOUR DAUG BAHT?"
"Oh, no"
"Hello, poopie"
snarl, chomp!
"I thought you zaid your daug did naht baht!"
"Zat iss naht mahy daug"

I laugh my butt off every time I see that scene.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Strangelove:"Animals could be raised and ........SLAUGHTERED!"

"Mein Furher........ikan Valk!"

Mandrake: "Sir I am afraid that I must insist that you give me the recall code for the wing."

Merkin Muffly:"Fighting in the war room.......I've never heard of such behaviour."

What a Genius.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts