Gunco Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new ACE blank in the mail yesterday. I did some measuring on it and found that it is about 10.5" long. They used to leave them long so you could trim them to length. AK receivers are around 10.235"(260mm). However, the front of the receiver from top to bottem on the inside is supposed to be around 1.200". This one is 1.150".

Does the 1.200" sound right to everyone? I got that diminsion from SilverDollar(7.62x39). I made a block that is 1.25 x 1.20" for my last build and every thing worked out well. I wonder if the 1.150 will be OK. I am sure that ACE mass produces these things and if mine is like this, then many others are probably also.

Should I worry about this? I know I can get a little anal about little details like this. I plan on going ahead and starting on it and seeing how the trunion fits in and go from there.

What do you think?

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
The rear is 1.7" tall, and the front is 1.2" tall, from all of the blueprints I have seen. Can you take off some more of the front, and still have 1.7" in the rear?

So long as there is room for the handguard on the front between the bottom of the trunion and the bottom of the receiver, you should be fine. You can obviously trim the handguard if needed to fit.

OTOH so long as there is room on the rear for the buttstock, you should be OK. You can trim the buttstock to fit if you don't have the room so I don't see this as a problem either way you decide to trim.

If it were mine, I'd work with it so long as there is room for the handguard...

hth,
- Jerry

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
machman said:
I just got a new ACE blank in the mail yesterday. I did some measuring on it and found that it is about 10.5" long. They used to leave them long so you could trim them to length. AK receivers are around 10.235"(260mm). However, the front of the receiver from top to bottem on the inside is supposed to be around 1.200". This one is 1.150".

Does the 1.200" sound right to everyone? I got that diminsion from SilverDollar(7.62x39). I made a block that is 1.25 x 1.20" for my last build and every thing worked out well. I wonder if the 1.150 will be OK. I am sure that ACE mass produces these things and if mine is like this, then many others are probably also.

Should I worry about this? I know I can get a little anal about little details like this. I plan on going ahead and starting on it and seeing how the trunion fits in and go from there.

What do you think?
This is from their website.....

Ace Arms is happy to introduce our handy Multi-Block for your AK-47 build. Measuring at 1.250" x 1.200" x 2.00" and fabricated out of tough and durable nylon (non-marring to the metal), this block will ensure that you trim the proper amount of metal from the front of our blanks when fitting your front trunion.
Simply slide the block into your blank from the rear until it stops - and that?s your cutoff point (1.200" in height)! Mark your spot and trim a little oversized - then simply hand fit your front trunion to your blank with a hand file. The Multi-Block takes a potentially challenging (and important) building step and makes it a breeze, and will keep you from ruining your blank by overcutting it.

And just what does this mean????????

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Machman,

Trim back the front until you reach 1.200

TK,

Overcutting it refers to trimming it back too far, and ending up with a front opening taller than 1.200

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I just wanted to add, even though the new design blanks are closer to the finished OAL than the earlier models, they are still oversized and will require trimming on both ends.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You cannot trip it back any more because the blank would be shorter than the required length. If I trimmed it back until it is 1.2", the blank would only be around 9.5" long. The blank was sent to me around 10.5". So I cannot trip any more off.

I am going to E-mail ACEARMS.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
machman,

Your front opening is now 1.150 you need to get to 1.200, which means you need to open it up .050.

I dont understand, why you feel, you will need to take a inch off the blank to pick that up.

With the rate of taper in the blank, you should have to take off very little to get to 1.200.

PS remember to keep your cut at 90 degrees to the top, not the bottom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is that the blank came to me only 10.6" and I cannot make the front cut any further back because the blank will be too short.

The last ACE blank I used was around 12" long and I had to cut around 1 1/4" off the front to get to to 1.200" inside hight. Well, I still have the scrap that I cut off and guess what the inside height of the front of the scrap is? Yep, 1.150".

It almost seems like on the blank I got that some one shortend the blank from the wrong end and shipped it to me. :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clarification: I made a block that is 1.200 h x 1.25 wide to find the location of the front cut. Well, when I slid that block into the blank, it stopped a little over an inch from the front. And with the overall length only 10.6" or so, there is no way to shorten it as much as it needs to be shortend.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
machman....

"Every item we sell is carefully inspected before it is shipped. If merchandise is defective or damaged upon receipt please contact us immediately after your package arrives for a return authorization claim number. All claims MUST be made within 3 days of receipt of order. Shipping charges will not be refunded. Returned products must be in absolutely new and unused condition for refund."

Looks like you need to contact ACE for a replacment (I hope you have better luck that I did). Their website says they will return your email if they think it's necessary. Didn't find any other way to try to contact, only email.

Don't know if it's just me or is anyone else having trouble contacting them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got the same thing!

Measuring off the top rails the reciever is 263mm long (10 3/8") thats 3mm longer than it needs to be. After i've measured (4-5 times) it looks like i also have to remove 1.083" from the left side and 1.007" from the right (that i don't get, 2 different measures) to achive the 1.200" inside hight. I don't have a block made yet to do a test but i've got calipers and they don't lie.

:dunno: What the hell is going on? :dunno:

other measurements:
Rear opening: 1.615"
Front opening: 1.153"
Reciever thickness: 0.045"
Rail width: 0.227"-0.238"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry man, but I am glad I am not alone. I was starting to get the feeling that everyone thinks I am an idiot. I have E-mailed ACE, I will let you know how it goes.

Something is definatly not right. I shouldn't have to modify the buttstock and lower forend so it will fit the receiver. ACE should have left them long like the first .045 I got.

·
Registered
76 Posts
machman,

I ordered a few of the new style blanks as well. Hopefully they will be here this week. Sometimes he ships quickly, but he has known to be a little slow at times too. let us know what his response is.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
I emailed ace tonight and got a response pretty quick (only 3 hours later)

------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,

This issue was brought to our attention about 2 days ago, and we've been
looking into it. Upon comparing the latest batch of blanks with our
first run, we discovered that the specs had changed a bit and we're
still trying to determine what caused this. The differences are small
and do not render the blanks defective - the only thing is that more
fitting would be required on the front handguard as well as the rear
stock.

Fortunately, the new run was limited and most of them still remain
here. We are sending them back to the shop and having them replaced
with the blanks matching the specs of our original ones. If you would
like to have yours exchanged, we fully understand. Simply mail your
blanks back to us and we'll have replacements from the new run shipped
to you. Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery. Please send them to:

Ace Arms
Attn: Returns [appletech]
7 Palamino Ln
Carson CA 90745

Please confirm whether or not you will be returning your blanks for an
exchange. We aplogize for this minor inconvenience. Let us know if you
have any other questions or if there's anything else we can help you
with. Thanks!

Regards,
Wes

------------------------------------------------------------

Now if anyone is planning on returning there's please email ace first. There is an email form on there site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have gotten E-mails regularly from them about this situation. ACEARMS has been very good at returning my E-mails in a very timely fassion. They are going to ship me a new receiver. They have allot of confidence in their product, which is great. However, it took them a little while to realize that there could be something wrong with one of their batchs of blanks.

Although these "out of spec blanks" could be MADE to work, they are going to replace them. My hat is off to them and I look forward to doing business with them again.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
When I got home last night I grabbed the new version blank I got for my AMD63 build, (I've been waiting for the weather to warm up, to start it) and measured it up.

You are indeed correct.
Although, as pointed out, they would still work with some minor alterations, I'm glad to see they are stepping up, and offering replacements.

As we all know, shit happens, but it's what you do as a company, to correct the problem, that separates the great ones from the rest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts