Gunco Forums banner

Live Longer If You Eat These 14 Foods?

592 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mr_billcollector 
#1 ·
Live Longer If You Eat These 14 Foods?

They're ordinary items that are probably in your refrigerator or kitchen pantry right now: beans, blueberries, broccoli, oats, oranges, pumpkin, soy, spinach, green or black tea, tomatoes, turkey, walnuts, wild salmon, and yogurt. But these may not be ordinary foods at all. They may be so special, they've earned the title "superfoods." That's the word from Steven G. Pratt, author of "SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life." His premise is that these vitamin-packed goodies have superpowers when it comes to keeping us healthy, improving our well-being, and helping us to live longer provided we do our part by eating them regularly, reports The Rocky Mountain News.

Here are the 14 "superfoods" and the superpowers they bestow that are outlined in "SuperFoods Rx":
Beans: They lower cholesterol, fight heart disease, stabilize blood sugar, reduce obesity, lessen cancer risk, and relieve hypertension. Eat four 1/2-cup servings a week.
Blueberries: They lower the risk of heart disease and cancer and help maintain youthful, healthy skin. Eat 1 to 2 cups a day.
Broccoli: It boosts your immune system, reduces the incidence of cataracts, builds bones, and fights birth defects and heart disease. Eat 1/2 to 1 cup a day.
Oats: Oats lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes, and are high in fiber and protein. Eat five to seven servings a week.
Oranges: Thy support heart health while preventing cancer, stroke, diabetes, and other chronic ailments. Eat one a day.
Pumpkin: It's not just for pie. Pumpkin lowers the risk of various cancers, while it promotes youthful, healthy skin. Eat 1/2 cup a day.
Soy: It prevents heart disease, cancer, and osteoporosis, as well as relieves menopausal and menstrual symptoms. Eat at least 15 grams daily.
Spinach: Popeye was on to something! Spinach lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases, a variety of cancers, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Eat 1 cup of steamed spinach or 2 cups of raw spinach a day.
Tea (black or green): Besides soothing the soul, tea boosts the immune system, helps prevent cancer and osteoporosis, lowers stroke risk, and promotes cardiovascular health. Drink at least one cup a day.
Tomatoes: They lower cancer risk, increase your skin's sun-protection factor, and play a role in preventing cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Eat one tomato a day.
Turkey (skinless breast): It's not just for Thanksgiving. Turkey is not only the perfect healthy low-fat protein, but also builds a strong immune system. Eat three or four 3-ounce servings a week.
Walnuts: How nutty is this? Walnuts reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Eat 1 ounce five times a week.
Wild salmon: It lowers risk of heart disease and cancer. Eat it two to four times a week.
Yogurt: In addition to being a great source of protein and calcium, yogurt promotes strong bones and a healthy heart. Eat 2 cups a day.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, I pick blueberries everyear ate them alot as a kid, can't stand them much now.

All the other stuff except the wild salmon I can handle. Can I substitute bass, for the salmon.

#4 ·
Health is subjective and some choose to die slim, trim, and healthier - while others may choose to die fat, out of shape, etc.

Me, I haven't decided yet :D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.