Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to buy parts for my lower.

I've thought about getting a kit from Model1 or maybe some other place, but I have a wrench thrown in my plan.

Looks like I can get a DPMS lower parts kit cheap through a friend and there is a certain buttstock I want as well.

So, that leaves me needing just an upper. I wanted to go flat top varmit, but now I think just flat top will be fine in 16 for the M4 look.

Good deals on uppers only?

Hell. if someone has one used in GC I'd go that route too.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Sang,

Any of the kit suppliers, Model-1, JT, M&A, RR etc will sell you just a complete upper.

Chrome bolt carrier is more corrosion resistant, but that's about it.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm finding it's going to cheaper to buy the whole kit as opposed to just and upper. uppers seem to be 85% of the kit price alone.

I know I sound like a broken record trying to get all this sqaured away since there are so many options and places to buy this stuff.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i am in the process of doing the same thing only i decided to get it piece by piece so i can completely assemble it. Will cost a little more but i will know the gun when i'm done. The guy i buy from usually has pretty good prices. If you do get a kit..make sure it has a good barrel..some of the kits come with barrels from manufacturers that i never even heard of. A lot of the guys around here buy from Sherluk. they advertize in the shotgun news. the main thing everyone said to me is always call in the order so you can confirm what barrel they are using at the time. the cheaper barrels won't hold up to the heat if you shoot competition like the 3 gun matches they have around here.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
redchevyman said:
Sang, I would buy the whole rifle kit and then sell the parts you dont need.the price for the uppers only is very steep.
Damn straight on that! I just missed a flatty upper over at AR15 for $255 with M4 front hanguard and some extras.

There is so much of this stuff on the market and so many places selling it! I'm surprised with all the different makers and vendors that the prices aren't a tad lower.

·
'Explosives expert"
1,208 Posts
Just a thought bud, but there should more than a few post ban uppers floating arround....should be cheaper.......

Plus if your going with the varmiter look the FH shouldn't really be an issue, or lack there of a flash hider.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You would think so Lead, but it's not really looking that way. I see a lot of used uppers going for more than whatg a new one costs?

BTW: Where the hell have you been! :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have USGI mags and a bayonet for a AR15 for sale or trade.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Did you find any deals on AR-lowers yet? Yosuthnmasa just bought 2 aim tech lowers and they looked very nice. Im looking to maybe start from an 80% Lower and use CNC's Jig. Did you happen to come across any 80% lowers?? Send me a link if you did.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a lower a while back. I'm looking for the rest and I finally decided on model1 after all the info I was given. I got about another month of saving pennies to go and I can order my kit.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes...I like model one for there customer service. Thats the one place I have been looking for AR stuff. They have some great prices as well. You try bushmaster at all? I think there kits are high dollar. What kind of kit you looking at? Im going with the M4 barrel and upper assembly.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going M4 style or at least A3 flatty upper myself.

Max told me that only 2 companies make the barrels for all the general AR stuff. Then he told me that only 2 companies make the uppers for all general AR stuff. That made me decide that Bushmaster was too high for my wallet.

So far, I cannot decide on exact barrel length yet, but I guess 16 inch will do. I got this cool Ukranian scope for .223 rifles that has an illuminated range finder built in and I thought that would be really cool to put on the flatop when I want to use a scope. Of course, I have to get a carry handle with NM sigths at some point too.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Im going with a 14.5" barrel, A3 Upper. I want the tri-rail set up for the flash light and scope. This will be my security for the house.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
mbadboyz said:
Im going with a 14.5" barrel, A3 Upper. I want the tri-rail set up for the flash light and scope. This will be my security for the house.
What kind of flash hider will you be adding? Do you know the most appropriate FH that goes with the M4 look?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ohh, and by the way SH, I finally got in two of my lowers from Ameetec Arms. You can read about it in my other thread.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Just my two cents ..........Iam changing out my " birdcage style " for a vortex...............

1 - 20 of 23 Posts