Gunco Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Arsenal SA M7 Carbine has been plagued by a loose front sight post. As you already know, the elevation of the AK front sight is controlled by turning a threaded front post. The post is threaded its entire length, with a long slit cut the length of the post across the threads either on one side (as on the Bulgarian) or both sides of the threaded portion of the post. This gives the threaded portion the appearance of having "legs," and this allows the threads to "expand" in the front sight hole in the sight base and prevent it from loosening.

Well, mine was loose enough to turn by hand.

I completely removed the front sight post, and into the long "slit" between the threaded "legs", I wedged the appropriate sized slotted screwdriver blade. With the post held upside-down on a block of wood, and with the screwdriver blade wedged into the slot, I then gave the butt of the screwdriver handle a few generous, but not overly forceful, whacks with a small hammer. This drove the screwdriver blade deeper into the "slit", thereby widening the "slit" and spreading the threaded "legs" further out.

I then proceeded to re-insert the sight post. With the threaded portion now spread more, the sight fit as tightly as a normal sight. Problem solved. Just to be sure, I put a few drops of green Loctite (applied after assembly) to the threads to prevent the sight from turning even if my "fix" fails.

Needless to say, you want to sight in the rifle first, and make sure to re-install the sight post to the exact height required before applying Loctite.

It might seem obvious, but I want to point out that this techinique is a fix for an excessively loose front sight post. Normally, you do not want to remove the front sight post completely if the sight is normal because it almost takes a special tool to put it back in!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I took my rifle's front sight out for some reason and I can't remember why but it was a real bugger to get back in. It would be nice to have a tool to do it with. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

It would be nice to know the thread pitch on the front sight post, anybody know what it is?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts