Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been pondering the purchase of an AR-15 for quite some time now. I would like a fairly accurate, iron sighted rifle.

One of the biggest concerns to me when purchasing a firearm is the cost of ammo. I find myself shooting my guns which consume the cheapest ammo WAY more than I find myself shooting my other guns, even if I enjoy my other guns as much or more. For example, I shoot my SKS about 4 times more than I shoot my Garand, and my Glock 17 way more than I shoot my full size revolvers.

That considered, I've been thinking about an AR-15 in 7.62x39 or 9mm. Keep in mind, this is a rifle that will be used to shoot paper and other inanimate target objects only. I want something that will be fairly accurate, as this is my primary motivation in buying an AR-15. High-cap mags are not an issue to me either.

Anyone have any suggestions? If you own a 9mm or 7.62x39 AR-15 please speak up and tell me how you like it, how accurate its been, how reliable, ect. Would a 9mm or 7.62x39 be an accurate, viable alternative to a 5.56 rifle?

Thanks for the help.

PS- I live in an apartment with no workspace so reloading is not an option for me at this point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To me the 5.56 chambering is what makes the AR so attractive. Why not get a 5.56 and shoot Wolf or some other Russian ammo in it?

·
1,763 Posts
GaryXD said:
To me the 5.56 chambering is what makes the AR so attractive. Why not get a 5.56 and shoot Wolf or some other Russian ammo in it?

I agree with the 5.56 being the attraction, but not laquer coated ammo. I never had one problem with any of my AR's until I had a failure to extract from the laquer seize. Maybe the new polymer coated stuff? But I will reserve the russian ammo for the AK's personally.

·
Registered
621 Posts
This is just my Two Lincoln Commemorative Copper Coins (two-cents worth), but I shoot a lot in matches, and invariably the cheap lacquered steel-case ComBloc ammo chokes AR-15's at least once and usually several times during a match.

I agree with GaryXD 100%. 5.56 ammo is cheap even in good quality US-made ball ammo, and standard M-16 mags are readily available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...

Three posts all arguing for 5.56...maybe I'll rethink this.

I'd always heard that the Russian ammo was to be avoided in AR-15s. My Mini-14 eats the Russian stuff with no problems besides poor accuracy compared to American ammo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The new Wolf ammo is polymer coated and Silver Bear is zinc plated. If you choose a gun (like Bushmaster) with a Nato chamber and chrome lined bore and chamber you probably won't have issues with the cheap ammo.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I buy the cheapest .223/5.56 ammo I can find, which is usually Wolf. I can often buy it for about the same out the door price I can get 7.62 for my AK.
In fact, I try to bargain and buy all my ammo needs from one vendor at local gun shows and this brings my prices down for all calibers.

I am most often a plinker, not a long range target guy.

I have never had a problem with wolf ammo in my AR except for the first day I had it. I had a couple failure to feed with the first two mags I used. Since then I have had no problems at all.

I am looking forward to trying the new Wolf non-laquer stuff.

Also, I stay with USGI mags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts