Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lower rails? Where and who should I get them from? I got everything else, but I haven't ordered them yet. Thought about making them, but I don't have the time and I need to get this build going soon!

Suggestions?

Ace, Kvar, others.

I'd like to have them in a few days and not wait weeks for back order too.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Lower rails? Where and who should I get them from? I got everything else, but I haven't ordered them yet. Thought about making them, but I don't have the time and I need to get this build going soon!

Suggestions?

Ace, Kvar, others.

I'd like to have them in a few days and not wait weeks for back order too.
k-var is currently out of stock, and though they aren't showing up on tapco's website, tapco sells some for $9.99 #AK0667. If you call Tony he'd be able to tell you if they are in stock or not. (I got some with my flats last week). If they don't have any in stock or you can't find any anywhere else, let me know - I have an extra set I had bought from k-var. I can dig up the receipt to see what they sold for.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Ace is expecting them back in stock next week.
I would wait for them or Kvar's, they are the only two that I know of that sell the correct style rails.

·
Registered
30 Posts
does anyone sell different ones for ak74 and 47 so you dont have to grind them down? dosent seem like a huge deal, but im just curious.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
febisfebi said:
does anyone sell different ones for ak74 and 47 so you dont have to grind them down? dosent seem like a huge deal, but im just curious.
k-var does, but I'm not sure if they have got them back in stock or not yet. Here is a link to them http://www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=216&1=223&2=-1&6=1 I have a couple sets from k-var, they are pretty nice. I have part number ak-74b and part number ak-75b and I am going to be using them for my 7.62 even though they say they are for the 5.45. I'm not sure if anyone else sells different ones or not.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
I ground my own from 1" square tubing purchased at aircraftspruce.com. Quite easy w/ a dremel, even easier with a 5" angle grinder :D

Took perhaps 20 minutes to make a set. I think I found how to paste the template onto the tubing in such a way that you can minimize the wasted metal. Got to play with it more later on...

Using the lower rails template (see our templates forum), just scribe or use a sharpie to make the cut lines and go to it.

The bottom of the right ejector will be curved, so you'll have to heat w/ a torch, then hammer it flat. Heat to avoid damaging the metal. Clean up w/ a dremel stone & presto you have some rails. Heck its so easy I might start making some up for sale, seeing as how no one keeps them in stock!!!!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about making them myself, but there seems to be a need for the magwell dimples. Then I got to thinking lastnight about an easy way to install magwell dimples using steel block and a torch.

Maybe I will make my own if I can get the magwell dimple idea in action.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ground my own from 1" square tubing purchased at aircraftspruce.com.
ditto
I use the .058 1"x1" 4130 square tube
part # 03-13600 $6.600 per ft.

from a one foot piece I get 4 sets, left and right - works out to $1.65 per set :) . Homemade is heavier duty than the store bought ones too.

Aircraft spruce is a great Co. to buy small quantities of metal, relatively cheap and fast
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/
s&p

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks for all the info on making rails guys, looks really cool. ill order some tubing as soon as I cant find it locally, and dremel out a couple sets, maybe even try some on the mill.
I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts