Gunco Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
aka: SDK1968
7,865 Posts
Yes always avoid "garand thumb"!

you only have to have that happen once & you dont ever make that mistake again.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had an M1 finger once, was checking the chamber on an M1 rebarreled to 7.62x51 and used M14 mags. Bolt catched slip and bolt mashed my finger, Would up losing the nail, I do not do that anymore, yikes!

·
gunco irregular
3,614 Posts
I don't have a M1D or M1C and I'm down to just one standard IHC M1 that I got from the DCM back in the early 90's. My son and I recently took it out with reloads, 150gr FMJBT over 47.5gr IMR4895 with two of his friends neither had fired an M1 before and one had never fired a gun before. They both took to it easily and were making hits at the steel plates at 150yds with ease while everyone else on the line had a scoped rifle. I'm sure that was a confidence boost for those new shooters.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Dad always loved the Garand. As a tank mechanic he was issued a 1911 but there are always "spare" weapons lying about and he always had a Garand handy in the halftrack he worked out of. When he was a boy he had hunted with 2 .22 rifles, a worn out bolt gun that spit gas into his face when fired and an old Winchester pump "gallery gun". Never was good with the Springfield as he flinched, expecting a facefull of gas and powder. But he really took to the Garand, said he couldn't miss. His tank unit was attached to the 45th Infantry division when they landed at Anzio and he wound up in Rome with some downtime as he and his buddies set up camp at the Garibaldi memorial. Bored, one guy picked up a Garand from a pile the dead and wounded had left behind and took a few shots at the rubble sitting atop the wall. And missed. Pretty soon everyone was blasting away, until someone with rank showed up and told them to knock it off!. So if you're ever in Rome, look for some .30 caliber holes up by the top of the wall. They probably filled them in, but maybe not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts