Gunco Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an M44. I want to scope it. I'll probably use the ATI scope mount, but I don't like the look of their bolt handle. I'll probably make a longer handle and bend it myself. What I need to know is what type of metal the bolt body is made of. Can I weld to it? I have OA and MIG welding gear, and could also braze or silver solder it. Has any one done one?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Okay, there are 2 quick options.

There is a guy on Ebay that makes them. You send him your bolt and he will get it back to you bent in 7 days for $40 if I remember.

Then there is this really cool idea I came across on this page.

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/mnsporter.html

I plan on doing a bolt handle like this guy did and I do belive this dude is one of the best garage smiths around besides some of teh guys here :wink:

This can be done with minimal tools and a custom handle in the right place.

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/bolt/mnbolt.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've been through most of his site. Lots of good stuff there. He Silver Solders his bolt handles. I may do it that way also, but want to know as much as I can before I make up my mind.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I was thinking of pinning it as well instead of solder or tapping it. I think a pin would be the quickest and easiest.

You can cut the ball off the original bolt handle and use that as the knob as well.

Last year I bought a parts bag from Tapco with unissued bolts handle and I will use that for my experiment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jim the Boltman is who you refer to. I hear he is good, buy way backed up.

Put a scout scope on the M-44 and keep the bolt as is. If you want a sniper, buy one from Coles, either real or repro. Why ruin an M-44 not designed as a sniper when you can get the real, or close to real thing?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no delusions that a carbine will ever be a "sniper," for that I have a Romak3 with an 8 power scope. Click here to see it.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1010

But, the M44 is a great little rifle for 100-150 yds, and since I'm not as young as I used to be, optics make my shooting more enjoyable. I considered the scout mount, but wasn't ready to cough up the price for an LER scope since I already have a nice 3-9x40.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Shyquestor said:
Jim the Boltman is who you refer to. I hear he is good, buy way backed up.

Put a scout scope on the M-44 and keep the bolt as is. If you want a sniper, buy one from Coles, either real or repro. Why ruin an M-44 not designed as a sniper when you can get the real, or close to real thing?
In my case the M44 I have has been counterbored and you could hit a barn with it. The barrel was cut down to where the rifling can be seen again and some other mods as well. It was a $69 rifle and while I don't usually like C&R mods there are so many Nagants and maybe one day they will be worth more, but there no where near as rare as Mausers or Enfields.

My Dad's M44 he moded has become a tack driver and a fun shooter. Before it was a hunk of junk that did 16 inch groups! Now it does under 2 inch groups on Czech surplus.

I respect your stance though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, Here it is. It cycles really smooth. I should be able to put some rounds through it tomorrow. I made the bolt handle using the original cut off stub and a 5/16" diameter bolt. First, I heated up the 5/16" bolt and slightly flattened and curved one end using a hammer and anvil. Then, I mig welded the handle pieces together, and finished with some quality dremel time.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shoots pretty good too. On my first trip to the range the groups were pretty tight as I was sighting in the scope. Then they started to widen some. I figured I was just getting tired, and I was out of ammo so I didn't pay much attention to it. Then I decided to put a new set of scope rings on it and found that the scope mount had loosened some. I cleaned out the screw holes and screws and retightened them. This time I used some blue loctite. Next time out I think it will do better.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered one of Wagners kits for my M38 scout rifle. I don't need a bent bolt for scope clearance I just like the feel of a bent bolt better. I ordered a spare bolt body from Tennessee Gun Parts. My rifle is all matching and I just can't cut the matching bolt. Wish I had a mig welder but I'll give the silver solder a try, looks like it will work.

I'll post some pics when I get going may be a week or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What type of steel did you use to make the handle with? I'm thinking about fabricating my own handle for my 91/30. I was wondering if there were any "special" tips or tricks I need to know other than heat transfer.

·
Damn contrarian
2,383 Posts
subdude

Please make sure which model of 91-30 you have , some of them are quiet unique . I know that I have had some late war models that were just as rough as a cob but some of the earlier tulas should not be screwed with and a reworked US arsenal 91-30 would be a real shame to screw up . And as such the common 91-30s are still pretty cheap , the same goes for a M44 , if per chance you have altered a polish M44 then you took a hell of a beating in resale value and ruined a very collectable rifle. Hell , even the hungarian models are getting scare now and are starting to command a "slight" premium. I know that I refinished a good to excellent field grade hungarian M44 for my dad , put poly on it : and now every time I see that gun I kick myself in the ass for not leaving well enough alone. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm with you on that. I checked out everything on both my mosin rifles. The 91/30 is an 43 ex sniper but there is no signifigance to make it worth keeping "original" it doesn't have no other significant markings either (I hand picked it at J&G with the intent to alter it into a elk/deer rifle) . My M44 is the one I'm leaving alone. I was just curious as to the type of metal that was used for the bolt handle. I do have machining & fabrication skills & have worked on lots of projects from Off road racing to aeronautical parts but never did anything on a firearm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well I went ahead & fabricated my own bolt & it came out better than I had planned. I'm currently working on the stock I will post pics of the completed rifle soon.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Those ATI bolt kits are complete junk and ruin your bolt.Ive seen several of them fall right off.

Pleny of people out there offer to bend your own mosin bolt to nagant sniper specs if you send them it for a decent price.What Id recommend so you dont damage your oiriginal bolt is to use 2nd bolt body and send it off to one of these guys who will bend them for you.That way you have the best of both worlds.

Regards,

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry I didn't get to this question sooner. Anyway, it sounds like you got the job done. I didn't use any special kind of bolt on mine. Just a garden variety 5/16" bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no problem I used 5/16 cold rolled steel rod for my bolt. As for the ATI kit thats what I have & I agree the bolt is a sad excuse for a bolt handle. This is why I wanted to make my own. I did use Heat control paste & I used the heat on my mig welder sparingly. Needless to say it came out perfect & I was able to polish it to a mirror like finish (looks like Chrome) so I had to polish the rest of the bolt to match the handle & body & it looks sweet. Pics are coming soon. I should be done with the stock by this weekend.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Then there is always Darrels Scount mounts, from over at Parallax bills place http://www.milsurpshooter.net/
The m44 mount is rock solid, and only costs $55..........and a lot less work than drilling/tapping your rifle and bending the bolt.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts