Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any one has a sure fire way of setting up and expanding the rivet that holds the magazine catch and spring in place.

I've been thinking about how to do it and just checking to see if anyone has done it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same thing but since both sides need to be expanded I was wondering how to do both at the same time. Maybe use 2 punches one is setup in a jig, you set one end of the rivet to that punch then use another punch at the other end then strike the punch with a hammer. I would think that maybe this would allow both ends to expand at the same time.

Any comments on this?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a bolt cutter setup for rivets and one for countersinking rivets. The counter sink bolt cutter has one pointed jaw and one flat jaw. If you got a spare jaw and made it pointed to replace the flat one that should do the trick. HF bolt cutters are cheap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try this:

1. Place mag catch release and spring into trigger guard.

2. Take two ball bearings and place one on each end of the mag catch rivet. They should be slightly larger in diameter than the concave ends of the rivet.

3. Secure bearings in place with tape so they will not fall loose.

4. Place assembly into vice or press and squeeze the bearings together, simultaneously expanding both rivet ends.

NOTE: I've never tried this but it seems like it would work.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
That sounds like something I'm going to try, only using vise grips

A Friend of mine recently dropped off a model 19 S&W for me to replace a broken firing pin.
It is secured to the hammer with the same type of rivet, only much smaller.

I got a new firing pin (S&W calls it the hammer nose) and rivet from Brownells today. I have to see if I can dig up a couple ball bearings that small.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use the pointed bolt cutter to dimple the receiver for the countersink rivets but in rethinking it it would work like it is for this application - just squeeze flip squeeze. Since one jaw is flat you would need to flip it to flare the other side of the rivet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts