Gunco Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I might share with you guys a pic of myself and my nice little 8-pointer that I shot Tuesday morning, Nov. 16, at about 8:30AM. I was hunting with 2 of my buddies out of my camp on the northwest side of Moosehead Lake. This little guy came crashing out of the woods onto a deer trail about 50 yards away from my stand, and stopped quartering to me to sniff a little doe pee I had sprinkled on the ground. The Winchester model 70 in 30-06 loaded with 180 grain Nosler Partitions dispatched him cleanly. He dressed out at 180lbs. Not a monster, by any means, but a nice 2 1/2 year old buck, nonetheless. He should be fine eatin'! The largest buck taken near camp this week was a 7-point behemoth that dressed out at 265 lbs., about a 5 minute walk from where I took this one, and about 10 minutes earlier.:thumbup1:

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's a dandy, congratulations! I've noticed an unusually large number of bucks in my neck of the woods lately...Makes me hungry just looking at your pics!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He just went off to the meat cutter... I usually cut them up myself, but when I get one up there, by the time I get home, usually the next day and slightly hung over, the deer is too cold to skin it easily, so, I guess I'm lazy. As for draggin', Cephus, I shot him about 75 yards from an iron gate on the road, so I only had to go about that far. downhill at that, so not too bad. I had him weighed on the scale at camp, and he was 180 lbs. The meat cutter has a certified scale, and he was 10 pounds heavier on that one, without the heart, lungs and liver (and those beautiful backstraps), and had hung overnight to boot, so I figure probably closer to 200 lbs.
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
glad I could share.
And Cephus, any time you need herd thinnin', I'm your man!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Nice one! Thats what I want to see more of. Big bucks! I have been hunting every weekend here in Georgia, and rut is coming up in the next couple weeks. I have been seeing lots of tracks, scrapes, and rubs but no bucks. I did see a ten pointer on my property but not since the first weekend. I have killed one doe this year so far. We are aloud 12 doe and 2 buck. I just want to fill my tag up this year.

Good luck hunting!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
please tell me their is no hole in it's butt.
nery nice looking prize.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol.... just the one the good lord put there!
shot him kinda higher than I would have liked, may have even deflected off some alder branches, but right through the boiler room... he stumbled about 20 yards and piled up right in the road.
those nosler partition bullets are the cat's meow.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Good looking buck, congratulations.

Two of my buddies came back from Maine with a buck and a doe last Sunday.
So I will have some venison shortly, I can't wait, I love it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I?m not a hunter but I get tempted now and then, there?s a buck I see every so often about a mile East of my home and I think he runs about three hundred yards South of my house when he crosses over to the West to feed. This is a real Moose size deer, he ran out of the corn a mile East of here one day and almost tripped over my Mini-van, he had to look down to look me in the eyes. I started to count the tips on the antlers and got to nine before he disappeared into the corn on the other side of the road, I?m not sure he had the tenth point or had an odd number of points but damn he?s big! I?ve seen him down the road at around a half-mile and he still looked big. Here in Northern Illinois (And up in Wisconsin) we have a disease that makes most deer uneatable, so I see no reason to hunt one or risk the disease later when I dress it out. The deer have to be taken to a State run site and have a blood test before you can skin or dress it out. Why bother.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Evil_WalksII said:
What???:eek:

Man,the Ohio DNR should model themselves after Georgia's DNR!
Yeah man! Its awesome isnt it. Only problem is......not a whole lot of doe days. I grew up in ohio, so I know it sucks to be there to hunt. Shotguns only in Ohio as well. The land is too flat.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just got him back from the meat cutter. he did an excellent job of cleaning/cutting/wrapping, which, in my opinion, counts for alot in they way it eats. the fam and myself sat down to a package of tenderloin tips and some ribeyes. absolutely delicious! I got close to 100 different packages of steaks, ribeyes, stew meat and roasts. I'll be enjoying throughout the winter!! YYYYEEEEEE HAAAAWWW!!!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Field dressing has alot to do with good tasting meat. I personally dress them before I move them off the spot where the fell. I also like to skin them as soon as I get them back to the house. You'd be surprised how long that hide holds heat in the meat.

BTW Cephus, I just found some stash in the freezer. Ready for a batch of Jerky?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree...
Dress it immediately, and cool it as quickly as possible.
The hide comes of alot easier when they're still warm...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts