Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might have to put the Christmas Wish List on hold... took my car into the shop - '95 Dodge Stratus ES.

Just put new tires on it like 3 weeks ago, and was bringing it to the shop to have a tie rod and wheel berring replaced. The day before I was due to drop it off... coming back from County Attic Treasures by the way, it shifted into first, then second, then tried to go to third - dropped to neutral, then back to first.

That's pretty much all it'll do now... I am aware that Chrysler trannys will do "limp along mode" like this if the computer senses some kind of problem. Only problem it exhibited prior to this was a slight fluid leak, that I had to top off last month with some ATF+3.

Had the same problem about 8 months ago, but the shop could not reproduce it, diagnostic didn't show anything, so I just had them flush and fill it.

They are quoting me $1500.

Any chance a greenhorn like me could rebuild a tranny with a manual and a rebuild kit?

LOL!!!

Lynch

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
You did some great work with your basement so I don't see why you couldn't rebuild your transmission.

As long as you don't need the car for a year or so.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
Mine recently took a big hairy dump on me too. Luckily $500 got me back running again. I should be solvent by Christmas again.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Very good chance. Automatic tranny's aren't too bad to work on. Find out what tranny's under it, and search the net for a good manual. My brother just recently redone one in his Voyager. Cost him just a little under $200. If you have any mechanical ability at all and a good step by step manual, you could probably do it.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Chrysler's are known to have terrible tranny controlers espcially between 89-96.

Do yourself a favor and have them check the tranny brain first or go to the junkyard and spend $50 for a brain. What you described was what happend to my Father inlaw's 91 Dynasty. He put a used brain in and it was fine.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Custer said:
As long as you don't need the car for a year or so.
Aye... now there's the rub... a tranny rebuild costs time... time ain't something I'm well known for having a surplus of.

There's no way on God's green earth I'm gonna drop $1800 into this vehicle - tranny + wheel bearing + rod + $250 for the tires I just put on it.

Only choice is doing it myself or cutting my losses.

Sang - the TCM was replaced about two years ago - I don't think that's the problem this time around - could be, but I doubt it. Big question is... do I pay money to find out?

Lynch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts