Gunco Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another forum (Battle Rifles), a guy (on targetfl) was saying the MAK90 couldn?t be converted to a pistol grip configuration, no matter what the parts count is. That the MAK90 was specifically singled out by the 98-importation ban. (Clintons EO). Here is the quote by this guy;
"...But the Mak90 does not qualify to have a pistol grip/butt stock replacement even if it contains the correct minimum US parts count..."
Here is a link to the discussion:
http://battlerifles.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8917&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have also heard that the BATFE now considers the thumbhole stock to be a PG stock. So, if this guy is right AND the BATFE does consider the thumbhole stock a PG stock, then, all MAK90s in any configuration are illegal, right?

Anyone have some good information on this? ie: "the batfe states...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I didn't check the discussion. Fact is, with the requisite U.S. parts it is legal to convert the MAK90,MAK91, NHM90, NHM91 and BWK92 Chinese post-ban imports to a standard pistol grip configration.

Some consider it legal to convert without U.S. parts due to the legalese wording of the various bans. Perhaps Bluedog will chime in.

Edit, I don't have the link handy but I'm almost certain Soupbowl Enterpises has the BATFE letters stating the legality of the conversion. If I'm correct they were the first to offer U.S. conversion parts for post-ban AK's in 1997 or so.

Added link:http://www.concentric.net/~Ldrennan/Page10.html

·
Registered
704 Posts
That guy on Battlerifles is full of it.Once you have the proper amount of US parts it is considered a Domestic made gun.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Let me cover a couple issues

ALL MAK-90's were imported with T-hole stocks
The T-hole = pistol grip stock ruling did not happen until AFTER 94.
All MAK-90's were imported PRIOR to 1995 (IE 12-94)

What the ATF said is that if you gun was imported with a T-hole stock then it is grandfathered so the stock is still considered a T-hole. Now if you change your stock to ANYTHING other then the FACTORY t-hole then you must meet the current regulations. Even if you install another t-hole stock, it must be FACTORY chinese or you will have to meet current regs (10 parts rule)

On a MAK-90, you need 5 US parts if your muzzle is not threaded.
I would use the following
(1) Gas piston
(2) hammer
(3) trigger
(4) disconnector
(5) Floor plate or Pistol grip

You can buy the gas piston from Hotbarrel ($14), the FCG from Scott @dpharms ($34del), and the floorplate from RPBUSA (10 for $10)

By using the above list you can use ANY furniture you want.
If you want a threaded muzzle then just add followers or use a US made break.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for all the information. My MAK 90 now has US made; Hammer, Trigger, Disconnector, Pistol grip, Butt stock, Followers, Floorplates & Muzzle brake. I went with the followers and floorplates so I can use the mags in any AK without messing up the parts count.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts